Chapter 29 ~ Adjusting To The New Reality

The few days in the hospital felt like an eternity, Yusei and the others would visit Aria every day with Yusei continuing his nightly drop ins so Aria at least enjoyed that. The twins lived with Akiza whilst their house was fixed up. Whenever Aria was alone, she was alone with her thoughts and that meant thinking about the future. Aria no longer had no idea who she was or why she was there, she had a mission to complete to save the future world even though it meant she was to disappear forever. Part of her had already made peace with the truth but another part of her felt like her heart and soul was being torn apart, especially since she had made a romantic connection with Yusei. Many times she found herself withdrawn and spending her time doing nothing but crying in her hospital bed, lying to the nurses that it was just flashbacks or even pain from her injuries.

When it came time for her to go home, she was happy to finally be free from the confines of the hospital, but she had no idea how she was going to feel being around all of her friends now. Especially Yusei, she loved him, but she felt it was cruel and unfair to him, they would surely only grow closer and closer, only for them to be separated and Yusei would be left to deal with that. But at the same time she knew she couldn't push Yusei away or tell him what was to happen, not just for the sake of the world, but she cared about and loved Yusei too much to put him through all of that until the time came.

"You seem quiet Aria, is everything okay?" Yusei asked calmly, turning his head slightly to glance at Aria sat behind him on his runner whilst they headed back to the house.

Aria's head snapped up, brought out of her trance by Yusei's voice.

"Huh, y-yeah I'm fine. Still...shaken by everything I suppose, I just need some time to relax haha, even if it's not for long." Aria explained convincingly, her words were true, but the real reasoning behind them a secret to Yusei.

"I bet, don't worry, I'll take care of you. Believe me when I say that these dark duellists are gonna pay dearly for everything they've done. I thought I'd lost my friends that night...that I'd lost you. I'm never going to let that happen again...I'll never lose you Aria." Yusei's words struck Aria's heart because she knew one day he would lose her. 

Aria rested her cheek on Yusei's shoulder and closed her eyes, matching her breathing with his, taking in his warmth, appreciating the soothing breeze that brushed over her as they rode back home. Neither of them spoke, Yusei wanting to get Aria back so she could rest, Aria however not wanting to say anymore fearing she would breakdown and accidentally reveal the truth to him. She savoured every second of that ride home, wishing it never ended and that they could both be at peace for all time.

When they both arrived they were greeted by Jack, Crow, and to Aria's surprise, Martha was also there.

"My dear children, welcome home. Aria I'm so happy to see you doing well after what has happened, it was so wicked of these people to attack yourself and the little ones." Martha cried out as she came forward from the house to embrace Aria in a warm hug as she got off the duel runner.

Aria didn't have much time to prepare for the hug but she accepted almost instantly. Yusei got off his duel runner and came round to their side, smiling softly at what he saw. 

My dear children...' The words echoed throughout Aria's head, it made her think of the memories of her own mother, who she would never get to see again, and as hard as she tried not to cry, she was unable to halt the tears that now fell down her cheeks. 

Sensing this, Martha pushed Aria away gently by her shoulders to look at her, Yusei also placed a hand between her shoulders, a worried look in his eyes. Jack and Crow kept their distance standing at the front of the house, but still looked on worriedly for their friend.