Chapter 15: You're not alone

Yubin’s mom got admitted to the hospital. They got Yoohyeon’s third opinion and also told them that surgery might be their best option. Minji has totally moved into Yoohyeon’s house, or should we say, their home, over a week now. Of course, they still had to clean Minji’s old apartment so they just both slept peacefully each night. Minji couldn’t completely stay in their home because she was in the hospital too. Now that Yoohyeon will operate on Yubin’s mom, she was more scared so she spent more time in the hospital, reviewing how she will do the surgery. She already had this surgery a few times before and it was all successful, even the recovery but aren’t you gonna get nervous when you operate on your friend’s mom? Of course you will. She always visited Yubin’s mom, with Handong and Minji there. Bora and Siyeon? At Gahyeon’s room of course, bothering her every time. Since all of them can’t sleep in the room where Yubin’s mom was staying, they would raid Yoohyeon’s office. They promised to have a housewarming party after the surgery so Yubin will have a light heart. All of them were in the room, with Yoohyeon and Gahyeon checking Yubin’s mom.

“Mrs. Lee, your surgery is tomorrow. How are you feeling?” Yoohyeon asked and Yubin’s mom smiled.

“I am feeling fine, Dr. Kim. I am a little bit nervous too.” Yoohyeon smiled. It was normal for the patient to feel nervous. She bets that Yubin feels the same right now.

“The surgery might take 5-6 hours, including the time we inject the anesthesia. I’m sorry but you cannot eat anything today, Mrs. Lee.” Yubin’s mom understood and thanked Yoohyeon. Both of them proceeded to explain more details and left the rooms since they needed to do their rounds. Bora whispered to Minji after the both of them walked out.

“Your girlfriend looks hot when she does that doctor thing. Don’t you feel something when Yoohyeon is all focused and serious?” Minji laughed and whispered too,

“Yeah. That’s the reason why I fell for her.” Bora pulled out a cringed face before going back into Siyeon’s arms. So much for being cringey. They all raided Yoohyeon’s office when she wasn’t there. Minji sat on Yoohyeon’s chair and looked at the book that was open. She saw how hard Yoohyeon studied every surgery. Her cute little notes and encouragements for herself made Minji giggle. There’s also a list of patients on every surgery that she operated on. It seemed like there were four patients that Yoohyeon treated that had the same case as Yubin’s mother. There was also an indication whether the surgery was successful or not. Minji noticed that there were more notes in the surgeries that Yoohyeon failed. There were a lot of dry tear marks on the book. She must’ve suffered all of these alone. Minji thought. She wrote on a post-it and put it on the front page of the book. Bora and Siyeon were sleeping soundly, Handong slept in the room of Yubin’s mom, and Yoohyeon and Gahyeon were still in surgery. She saw three framed photos on the side. The one on the left is her and her dad, with a picture of her mom inserted in, a picture together with their friends, and a picture with only the both of them. Minji remembered that it was the day that Minji got discharged and the day that Yoohyeon asked her to be her girlfriend. There was a date at the back. 03.05.2021. It’s been seven months already? Minji thought as she was counting down months in her head. They started last March and it’s October now. It amazes her how her love for Yoohyeon only grows each day. Sure, they had some fights here and there but they promised each other that they’ll always resolve it before they sleep. That only made their relationship grow stronger. So now, Minji feels a little more assured in coming out. At least she has Yoohyeon right?

Yoohyeon came in with a tired look on her face but it was quickly washed away when she saw Minji. The older wrapped her hands around Yoohyeon’s neck and kissed her. Yoohyeon followed and placed her hands on Minji’s waist, feeling all her tiredness wash away.