Chapter 2: the other's thoughts

Red and Blue lights. Sirens blaring. People entering with lifeless lives. This is the life of Yoohyeon. Yoohyeon is a young doctor at Hejin hospital. At the age of 25, she is the youngest doctor in the hospital and in her department. Yoohyeon took a liking to the idea of saving people's lives ever since she was young. With her skills, knowledge, and smart brain, she easily surpassed many levels when she was younger. By doing that, she didn't have a lot of friends growing up. She would gain friends in her batch but she would skip another level, which results in her drifting away from her friends. Meh, she didn't really care. With the sacrifices she made, she is now a successful general surgeon in the hospital.

The ER (emergency room) got flooded with people. A bus just tipped over and there were 12 passengers in it. 8 of them were injured, while the other 4 are in a critical condition. It includes the bus driver, a pregnant woman, a student, and a 6 year old kid. As she always does, she instructs the residents on what to do. She checked the 4 passengers that were in a critical state before deciding on who needs her help first. After looking at all of their scans, she took the bus driver as her patient. The ER called an obstetrician for the pregnant woman, another general surgeon for the student, and a pediatrician for the kid. Scrubbing in, she got ready for her surgery. The bus driver had a big piece of glass, around 6-7 sm, stuck on his stomach. Yoohyeon already performed surgeries like this before so this is nothing new for her. She greeted her fellow doctors and nurses inside while drying her hands and a nurse assisting her with her sterile clothing. She stepped beside the unconscious patient and took a deep breath. She looked at her assistant, Gahyeon, before starting.

"Our main objective is to remove the foreign object in the patient's stomach and clean it out to ensure that there aren't pieces of glass left." She explained and all the people inside the surgery room nodded.

"Let's start shall we? Scalpel." And the surgery began.

After a few hours, she instructed Gahyeon to close up the patient as she will talk to the family. She went out and was greeted by a young kid and her mother. She told how the surgery went and assured the family that their dad will be okay. She bid her goodbye and went into her office.

She lied down on the small sofa and sighed. Today's tiring. But at least, no one died. Yoohyeon thought to herself. That's the only thing she hated when she became a doctor. Death. The idea of not being able to save someone tortured Yoohyeon during her first year as a doctor. She always berated herself for not being skillful enough. Her thoughts always invade her with words such as 'What if I was more skilled? Could I have saved that man? What if I was better?' Those thoughts came naturally to her as she became a doctor at the age of 23. Young Yoohyeon dreaded so much at the death of her first patient. Thankfully, the head of the general surgery, Jeongyeon, comforted her a lot during that time.

"Yoohyeon, I know you're feeling sad right now" Jeongyeon said while patting the back of young Yoohyeon.

"But ask yourself this. Did you do your best to save your patient? Or did you give up?" Yoohyeon lifted her head from Jeongyeon's shoulder that is now wet from her tears. Before Yoohyeon could answer, Jeongyeon added,

"The moment we saw the scans, we all knew that the person wouldn't survive. Thanks to your bravery, you tried despite the chances of it being low. Even I didn't even want to perform it." Stroking Yoohyeon's hair and looking into her eyes, Jeongyeon formed a small smile,

"The family even thanked you for not giving up. I know it will be hard but this is what we have to face, Yoohyeon. We're people too. Our skills and capabilities are limited as well. The best thing that we can do is to save the people that we can save and not give up on them. And we learn from this. We can always try to be better so it doesn't happen next time." Yoohyeon dried her tears and thanked Jeongyeon for the comfort.