Chapter 6: The Beginning of the End

(3rd Person POV)

It was time for the Vytal Festival Tournament Finals. The final contestants, which included Pyrrha, Cassie, Sun, Yang and Mercury stood in the center of the arena as the crowd went wild. Cassandra, who was in the crowd, noticed her sister, Pyrrha's expression being nerve-racking, most likely from her still thinking about the Fall Maiden.

Port: Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for, the one on one finals! Barty, why don't you explain the rules?

Oobleck: Ah, it's quite simple Peter! Instead of a bracket system, each round of the finals will be randomly determined immediately before the match takes place!

Port: Much like a good hunt, there will be zero time to prepare!

Oobleck: Ah, yes, yes! Now, let's see who our first match will be!

The randomizer begun as everyone stared at it eagerly. Eventually, it landed on Mercury, then Yang.

Port: Yang Xiao Long and Mercury Black!

Ruby: Break a leg sis!

Port: Would all other combatants please leave the stage!

Everyone besides Yang and Mercury left as the dead center of the arena began to rise up and spotlights come down.

Yang: You better not go easy on me.

Mercury: Hmph, you wish.

Port: 3... 2... 1... FIGHT!

(Watch the fight above. I too lazy to write it out, UU RR.)

Port: What a way to kick off the finals!

Oobleck: Yang Xiao Long wins!

Ruby: YEAH! YOU DID IT SIS!

Blake: Way a go Yang!

Olympia: WHOOO!!! YAY YANG!!!

Cassie: Good job, Goldie!

Cassandra looked at her and smiled.

Cassandra's thoughts: Good job.

Yang took a glance at the downed Mercury.

Yang: Better luck next time.

She walked past him towards the exit as the platform lowered itself but she stopped, upon hearing Mercury's voice.

Mercury: There won't be a next time, Blondie!

Yang turned around to see Mercury lung a kick at her. Reacting to this, Yang punched his leg, creating a sickening crunch and an uproar from the crowd.

Port: My word!

Oobleck: Cut the cameras!

Mercury began to hold his leg in pain as Yang looked at him angry.

Mercury: My leg! MY LEG!

Yang: That's what you get you little- Huh?

Yang noticed that she was surrounded by two atlesian knights and two guards.

Guard: Yang Xiao Long, stand down!

Yang: What!? Why!?

Emerald: Mercury!

Mercury: Why'd she do that!? WHY'D SHE ATTACK ME!?

Emerald scowled at Yang to her confusion. She then looked up to the screen, only to see her punch a downed Mercury in his leg without warning. Yang took on an expression of shock, disbelief and regret. Then she turned to her teammates, only to see them just as horrified as she is. But what she saw, was Cassandra being held back by Cassie and Blake.