Son of a Preacher Man

(This will be a really short story. It's based on an old song and I attached the MV to it. If you don't know the song, I suggest you watch the video first and read the lyrics so the story will make sense to you.)

************************

Summer of 1972, Southern United States.

Kim Seokjin sat in the middle pews of the church. Along with his parents and older brother Namjoon.

It was stifling hot inside the church and the box fans that were being used were barely working. He and several others used the church programs to fan themselves.

He could feel sweat dripping down his neck and collar. His gaze was fixed on the organ player as he played, and could see the wet patch of sweat on his back. It had soaked through and clung to his form.

He was the preachers son and he would always be nearby whenever his father was preaching.

Jin hated coming to church but his parents were strict about having them attend church every week. And also to every church function there was.

Lately, he hasn't minded as much. Especially when he looks at the handsome organ player.

He looked very righteous on the stage, but Jin knew the real person underneath that facade.

When the service was over, the preacher and his son stood on the steps outside the church and spoke with his congregation as they all said their goodbyes.

Jin stood next to his family as they waited in line. Eager to speak with the much beloved preacher.

As they moved closer he could feel eyes on him and when he looked up he found the preachers son staring at him.

He would look away bashfully and fiddle with his fingers.

When it was their turn to speak with the preacher, Jins parents immediately spoke fondly of his sermon and his beautiful orating skills. Which made his son chuckle quietly, before pretending to cough when he attracted attention.

Jin smiled inwardly, knowing what he was implying.

As his parents were wrapping up their talk, his mother invited him over for lunch at their house. Which the preacher immediately accepted.

Mrs. Kim's food is well known for being the best in their congregation and he always looks forward to her invitations. He usually brings his son along in hopes that his wholesome personality will influence the youngest of the Kim's sons. He is always happy to hear from his son how he spent hours teaching him his ways.

When they got home, Mrs. Kim got started on making a grand feast for the preacher. She knows that he prefers her cooking above any others and she loves to lord it over them.

Jin used to mock her for it, until he saw how hurt she looked once. He then figured that it was the only thing she had to look forward to, and that she could be proud of. So he stopped teasing her and started to praise her cooking. He even started learning from her, which she loved.

When the preacher and his son arrived, they were welcomed in by Jin's father and they sat down in the family room. He told them that lunch was almost ready and a couple of minutes after arriving, Jin walked out carrying a tray with drinks for everyone.

It had been so hot that day, so he offered them some lemonade and sweet tea. The preacher and Jin's father opted for the lemonade, while Jin and the preachers son drank the sweet tea. It was perfectly sweet.

Jin took a sip of his drink and looked at the preachers son, Taehyung over the rim of the glass.

He was already looking at him and took a couple of ice cubes into his mouth and swirled them around. All while keeping his eyes on Jin.