Chapter 5

I wake up at 8am, the sun shining through my window. I turn over and see Archer sitting on the couch with his feet up, casually reading The Fault In Our Stars, a puzzled look on his face. I look at the book and see he's almost done with it.

"The Fault In Our Stars?" I ask, a small smile playing on my lips as I get up to get a change of clothes, going to the bathroom, and shutting the door.

"I was looking for something to do while you slept. Decided to read, looked interesting...." He pauses.

"And?" I ask, putting on my shorts.

"I was wrong," He says flatly, "This is the stuff young women read these days?"

I come out dressed in a black tank top and blue shorts as I brush my hair, "Yeah, it's the tragic love story of two teens with cancer. I personally love that book," I go over to the mirror on the dresser and put my hair up in a ponytail and the pendant around my neck. "Read it four times."

He looks at me in slight shock, "Hm? I don't see the appeal. It's horribly depressing. The love story would've been tragic whether he died or she died. It ends badly no matter how you look at it. And what's this about infinities?" He closes the book, setting it on the couch as he stands.

I giggle as I come over and sit on my bed to put on my shoes, "I can't talk about our love story..." I smile as I begin the quote, "So I'll talk about math. I am not a mathematician, but I know this: There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." I pause, looking at him as he listens intently, " A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful" I quote.

He looks at me, "Impressive. Still don't understand. It still ends badly one way or another. Pointless to go through that sort of pain knowing how it will end."

I cross my legs on my bed, "You see, Archer. No one ever knows how long they've got...this is more true for people who are sick. In the case of Hazel and Gus, yes they knew it would end badly one way or another. But they took the unknown amount of time that they had and made the most of it. And they made their own little infinity. Making enough memories to last whatever time Hazel had left. A forever within the numbered days. You don't get to choose if you get hurt, but you do have some say in who hurts you."

"Huh...Makes sense. But it's still pointless. To me at least." He shrugs, "Anyways, We start training today, I will get you your coffee." he dissipates as I shake my head, getting off my bed and going to the kitchen and getting some cereal as Archer sets my coffee on the table as I sit.

I smile, "Trying to get me in a good mood before training?" I look at him as he sits across from me.

"Got to make sure you're alert. I won't go easy on you" He smirks.

"Didn't think you would, I wouldn't expect you to," I giggle, "Mom never did, even with the basics." I smile a bit, "She always wanted the best out of me. I wanna learn as much as I can. Don't hurt me, but don't go easy."

...........

I feel my back hit the wall of the practice room, the breath getting knocked out of me. I stand, catching my breath as I glare at Archer as he stands with a smirk on his face, "I said don't hurt me..." I breathe.