Chapter 9

I had slept pretty ok despite what happened last night. Archer had stayed with me the whole night, holding me. Flashes of what happened came behind my eyes a couple times, but he was there to console me back to sleep. I had woken up around 7 this morning. Archer watched my every move, no matter how much I protested. I showered and got dressed in blue skinny jeans and a red shirt with a black jeweled dragon on it, with my combat boots. I tied a red ribbon around my ponytail, the pendant in its place.

Archer has not let me out of his sight since this morning and frankly, it's getting annoying. I decided to stay home from school today, not wanting to risk seeing Daiki. Archer and I are in the practice room, reviewing our last lesson while adding a few new things. My focus is everywhere but on what I'm doing, crossing my fingers that he doesn't notice.

He and I are sparring. "Focus, May." He says as he blocks me for the billionth time. So much for him not noticing. I sigh. Focus? Easy for him to say. I take a deep breath to center myself, reading him, seeing he has a hold of my arms in front of me. He goes to let go, possibly thinking I'm not going to do anything. I take that chance to free my arms, kicking him back. He quickly regains his balance, skidding to a stop.

He stands up straighter as I smirk, "Focus, Archer." I giggle. I see the corners of his lips come up slightly, "Your reaction time and opponent analysis have improved immensely" he says, coming over to me.

"I've had a great teacher." I smile. I see him think something over, "What is it?" I ask, curiously as I drink some water.

He turns to me, his hand on his chin, "In my time with you, Master, I have become aware that your magic circuits are stronger than even Rin's." He says casually.

I look at him, "I don't know about stronger than moms. I have the rare ability of being able to control all five elements like mom did, in addition to storing mana in jewels and spells she taught me." I shrug.

He shakes his head, chuckling, "You are capable of more than even Rin realized or yourself for that matter..." He motions me to follow him outside, picking up a metal pipe that leans against the house, "I would like you to try something." He hands the pipe to me, taking my confused look as a cue to continue, "Strengthen this. Run your mana through it, focus on making the pipe stronger than it already is." He watches, waiting.

I nod, holding the pipe in front of me. I close my eyes and focus my mana, starting to see the inner workings of the pipe, sensing that I am indeed making it stronger, seeing my mana weave its way through the structure. I open my eyes, seeing the faint glow, a smile coming to my lips as I look at Archer. He raises an eyebrow and holds out his hand for the pipe and I hand it to him, watching as he examines it.

"I am genuinely impressed..." he mumbles, "it's nearly perfect." He sets it back against the house, "I know now what our next lessons will be." He starts to walk into the main house and I follow.

"That was reinforcement magic?" I sit at the kitchen table, running a hand over my face as I start to feel the fatigue from a morning of training.

He nods, "That it was, Master. You seem to have the aptitude for it, unknown to you or Rin. I have no doubt projection is also within your abilities." he leans against the wall.

"Uhhh, projection, like you and Akira?" my mind is running a hundred miles a minute. He nods in response, "Precisely."

"Mhm..." I say slowly as I hear a knock on the door. Archer tenses as I get up and go over, opening it. My heart flutters as my eyes land on Akira, dressed in a black zip up hoodie and blue jeans, his dark hair windblown. I smile a bit, "Hey, I was just about to call you." I step aside to let him in. I close the door behind him, "Really?" He asks, a hint of a smile in his voice.