Chapter 22

TRIGGERS: Death, Intense sexual situations. 

Akira's POV

I haven't seen her in a couple nights. I've tried to not think about what transpired the last time I did see her, but her cry as she protected me from Archer's sword has played in my head since. I've wondered how she's holding up, she was crying while I held her. It's been silent. No servants, no news from the priest, which also has me worried that they're all focused on getting May, thinking Archer's dead.

I turn as I hear Saber come up beside me in the garage, "You're looking distraught, Master...is there something troubling you?" She asks as she kneels beside me, "You're sweating." She rests a hand on my bare back, "I'm fine, I'm just really worried about May. There haven't been any servants, like at all. What if they're going after her, Saber?"

I know she sees the worry in my eyes as her hands go to her lap. She sighs, "Your concerns aren't unfounded, Akira. I've noticed the lack of servants as well. They must be waiting for her to let her guard down enough..."

I stand as she watches me, "She's vulnerable right now. It's the perfect time." I walk out of the garage, hearing her follow, "I have to see if she's ok."

"Have you forgotten that incident?" She asks.

"No, but she's my friend. I'm not going to leave her....even with Lancer...if the servants' team up...I feel all bets are off then." I go to my room to put on a shirt, "I feel like Gilgamesh took out Archer first because he was scared of him. Plus, it would weaken her resolve to keep fighting, making her more willing to comply with him, or any servant, whether Lancer is there or not." I walk out the front door as Saber takes spirit form, "I just have to make sure she's ok."

*I understand. But why would Gilgamesh be scared of Archer?*

*Think about it, Saber. Archer was Shirou Emiya. He specialized in projection and reinforcement. He can create literally any weapon. Gilgamesh has Gate of Babylon. Archer's magic is the natural opposition to Gilgamesh's Noble Phantasm. Given he has enough mana to use it. Mayumi, in peak form at least, could give him all the mana he needed to use it. That's why he took him out first.*

The rest of the walk is silent as I head to her house. I come up the stairs, feeling the elevated mana in the area, "Saber, keep an eye on things." I say quickly as I go into the house, seeing May bolt upstairs, hearing the commotion in the backyard, This is bad. I hurry upstairs after May, stopping partway when I hear movement downstairs.

"Where are you, little doll?" I hear Gilgamesh say as he walks in from the backyard, "You can't hide from me." I watch him stop in the middle of the hall as I silently finish my way to May's room. I quietly shut the door, seeing her quickly packing a bag. As she gets the stuff in the bag, I reach from behind her and cover her mouth, feeling her struggle against me as I pull her into the closet. I hear Gilgamesh's footsteps outside the bedroom door in the hall as I shut the closet door, "Shhh, May, it's me." I say softly.

"Akira? What are you...?" I quickly cover her mouth as I hear the bedroom door open, "Shhh...I'll explain later." I whisper as I take her to the back of the closet, sitting down and pulling her to me.

I listen as Gilgamesh looks around the room, "Where are you, girl? I really didn't think you'd be this much trouble..." He mumbles, "More than you're worth in my opinion." He stops in front of the closet. I pull May closer, feeling her hide her face in my chest. "Ah well...Maybe if I kill your Archer...again..." Wait...He's alive? "Nice and slow this time...Make him suffer as you watch..."

I feel her tense in my arms as her whole body lights up, being able to see all her magic circuits. What the hell? I watch her stand, "May, what are you doing? Why are you glowing?" I stand and grab her arm but she pulls free, "I'm not going to be pushed around anymore. He messed with the wrong servant once. I won't let it happen again, Akira..." So...he is alive. Great. She looks at me, "Please stay here, I don't want him to hurt you, too." She pleads as I nod, watching her go to the door, opening it just enough for her to step out, closing it behind her.