Chapter 26

Archer's POV

"You slyyy dog, you. You tried to get her away right before I could sense it, didn't you?" He twirls a dagger in his fingers as I keep my eyes fixed on his every movement, "You knocked that girl up," He chuckles, "any chance at that kid having a normal life...by mage standards anyways...is gone, Archer. It's an abomination by society's standards, albeit powerful. What do you think normal humans are gonna think? Hm? Mages are gonna hunt it down and take those unique circuits the little one's going to have." He looks me dead in the eye, "Better to just kill it, before it has a chance to be miserable."

I feel my body tense and my chest starts to hurt at the thought of killing it, I doubt May would let me even if I wanted to, "Ohhh did I strike a nerve with the father-to-be?...sorry not sorry." He shrugs as I watch him disappear into the trees, following close behind him. I swiftly move from branch to branch, stopping abruptly when I lose sight of him, "What's the matter, Archer? Losing your nerve thinking about your little lover?"

I drown him out, "Do whatever you deem necessary to kill this bastard." I drop down just as a bullet cuts through the air, embedding itself in a tree, Too many hiding spots here, it'd take far too long to kill him chasing him through the trees. I gotta get up higher. I feel something behind me, my sword coming in contact with a big knife, "C'mon, Archer, stop fucking around." I push him off me, sending him into a tree. I look away for a second, looking back, he's gone, "Gotta be faster than that, Archer." I feel the breath knocked out of me before I go flying through branches before my back hits a tree and I fall into a heap on the ground. Alright, plan B, just go for it. I stand up, regaining my senses, "Getting tired, Archer? I was just getting started." I move quickly toward his voice, grabbing him and pinning him in one swift, fluid motion, landing on the ground hard, hard enough to knock the breath out of him almost completely, my knee on his back, "Fast enough for you?" I grit through my teeth, quickly placing Kanshou to his neck. Just as I go to kill him, I feel a knife slice the top of my thigh, letting out a pained growl as my sword nearly cuts his head clean off. I see him go limp and start to vanish almost instantly. I stand, stumbling slightly from the pain in my leg, "Son of a-" I take a breath.

I appear in May's room, seeing her cuddled up to my coat as she watches tv. She looks up at me, taking in my still slightly tattered armor, "Assassin is taken care of." I come over to sit by her, seeing the worry in her eyes, "Archer...are you ok? Are you badly hurt?" She sits up.

"Don't worry, May, I'm ok." I pull her to me, "I'll be in good shape by tomorrow." I chuckle, "I'm a servant, silly. I can heal myself." I look down at her as she looks up at me, "Or did it slip your mind for a second?"

She blushes, "It...It might have. Cut me some slack, I haven't been feeling good."

I look at her, "Still?" I think back to what the priest said "Every night or two, Archer has to send mana to you..." "Here, I may know why you feel so awful." I gently lay her back, pulling up her shirt, "Stay still." I gently rest my hand on her stomach, my hand and the area underneath it starting to glow as I start sending mana to her. I watch her eyes close, a soft breath leaving her lips as she relaxes, "This should help."

"Mhm, it is." She says softly, "I think this is what my dad meant about knowing when I need your mana." She giggles, looking at me, "Feeling like crap."

I stop but keep my hand where it is for a second before moving it, "At least it's easy to catch." I move to lay next to her, "Feeling better?" I pull her close as she settles against me.

"Yeah...much." She sighs as I start the calming circles on her back, "Thank you, Archer." Shortly after I feel her completely relax, her breaths evening out into a steady rhythm. I take a breath, letting my own eyes close for sleep to make it easier on her.