Story 3

There was once a young girl, with a fiery mane and a will of steel. She girl lived in the poorest part of Asgard, where only the damned would go to.

This child often felt like the universe had forgotten her. She resented the world for what it had made her live through. Yet she never gave up, she kept on fighting.

For as long as she could remember, her mother had always been sickly. She would have times when she would be well enough to work, but at others she would barely have the strength to get out of bed. Sometimes those periods of time in which the mother was sick would last a few weeks, to at most a few months. But there was this one time when it lasted for years. This period had been the darkest for our young red head.

Her mother had found a man that she married so that he may help them. The intentions of the mother were pure. She just wished for her girl to have a father figure in her life and a man that may be able to help them financially, just enough to at least survive.

Soon after their marriage, the mother fell ill, ending up spending all of her time bound in bed. That is when the girls life became hel. While the mother was asleep in the bedroom, the husband would abuse the young girl. He would make her work in his stead so that she may earn money for his drinking. He would go into drunken fits of rage and say things that should not be spoken to a child, and if she would talk back he wouldn't hesitate to strike her.

Yet she never told anything to her mother. She did not want to worry her. She knew that he was the one that bought the medicine and that he owned the house. So she just kept quiet, as that is what she thought was her only choice.

From even before that man had come into their lives she had been bullied by both children and adults around her. So she would shut herself in the house, so that the world may never again see her, and that it may slowly forget about her. But now, her safe space, her home, was no longer safe.

Day after day, resentment piled on. Her sanity was on the line. Her only life line were the books that she buried herself into.

One fateful night, as she came back from the library, the husband threw his mug at the girl as she came through the door. She understood that he was already drunk.

As she began to clean up the shattered pieces of glass, the man began to berate her. She tried her best to stay calm and ignore him. But that one night that was not the right choice.

The man began to yell louder, annoyed at the fact that she ignored him. He got up and she had already flinched, ready to get hit. But what the man did was to take her bag away. The girl struggled, trying to take it back, but the man just shoved her down to the ground.

He took out a book and looked it over as if it had been the first time he had seen such a thing. All the while he told her that she had no use of such things and that she would be better of spending her time working.

Then the man threw the book into the fireplace. She struggled, trying to stop him as he took another book out of her bag.

Then he finally took out the notebook of the girl. That is when she snapped. She does not remember what she did, but the first thing that she did remember was the pain in her hand. As she looked, she saw that it was covered in blood, as she was gripping tight a piece of glass. Then her gaze trailed up and ended on the man. He was laying down on the ground. As she approached him, she saw that he was gripping his throat, his eyes were wide open, looking off to the side.

Slowly realisation hit her, as she understood that the man was dead. That she had, in a blind rage, stabbed him in the throat with a piece of shattered glass.

Soon came the funeral. In the end everybody thought that one of the debt collectors had gotten to the man.

At the funeral came a few relatives of the man, though mostly out of courtesy. In between those people was also a girl, the niece of the man. She had short brown curly hair and a soft warm tan. That day the girls met for the first time.

They went of to the side to talk. And soon enough they hit it of nicely. At first by agreeing how much they disliked the man, and them in many other ways.

That is how the girl passed though the darkest time of her life, and at the end of it found her first ever friend.

Author's note:
This story was posted on the 20th of December 2021