Chapter 3

I got woken up by a knock on the door. I see a man that I recognise, as I had seen him deliver letters to my mother before.

"Good morning, I am here to announce that there is a meeting at midday and all members of the mages guild are required to attend".

"Midday?".

I was surprised how little time I had slept. The man looks at my messy hair and raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, in around 30 minutes".

"Thank you".

I say and quickly close the door to get ready. I throw on a pair of black leather trousers and a dark grey blouse that I tuck in with one hand, while with the other I try to brush my hair and at the same time rush through the door.

As I enter the meeting room everyone is already in their place and they are all looking at me with distaste. I take my place at the back of the room as The Grandmaster adjusts his voice.

"We have called for this meeting since in a month Frey, ruler of Vanaheim, will come to Asgard to form a political alliance. As such, we were tasked by Odin, The Allfather, to assist the military with security. Since the Vanir are experts of magic, just like us, physical security will not be enough this time. So we have called you here to give you your tasks".

He explained the three groups, the ones that will be on the wall creating a barrier all around Asgard, the ones that will patrol together with the guards and the group that will guard the treasury.

They started calling out names, assigning everyone into their groups. I patiently wait to hear my name. And then they stopped calling out names. I wasn't called...

"As you may have noticed, there has been a person omitted. Freya, you will be the personal guard of Frey, as your magic vibrations are most similar to those of the Vanir ruler. And it would be easy for you to sense even the slightest magic done by him".

---

The month passed quickly, the only regrettable thing was that I barely had time to go to the library, as we had constant training and drills that left me exhausted.

Now it was the day just before the political meeting with Vanaheim. I was coming from the last drill and heading to the banquet hall. I sat down to my usual place. Soon Thor came, together with Sif and Eira. I had made up with Eira and I had started to spend some time with Thor, Sif and the warriors three. I also noticed that Eira and Sif were getting along better and better since they were assigned to patrol together.

I was talking to Thor when I noticed Eira tense up.

"Hello. May I join you?".

Behind me was prince Loki.

"Of course. Sit down brother".

Thor, as usual, couldn't read the mood. He poured prince Loki mead and then proceeded to gulp his own in a matter of seconds.

As usual, in the hall was a great party, like before any important event. There were people drinking, dancing, laughing, having a great time.

I watched as Fandral danced with one of the young maidens of the palace. They were skipping and twirling, becoming one with the music's rhythm. I saw as the maiden's dress swirled around her as she danced, like petals blown in the wind. I was mesmerised by their dance.

"May I have this dance?".

I was brought back to reality by Thor's deep voice. He had his hand extended in front of me and he had a warm smile on his lips.