Chapter 11

The great temple was where Helka had been taught the ways of magic. And what surprised me the most was that the temple was dedicated to me even if I had never before been to Midgard. The likeness of the statuses was off, but it was for the goddess Freyja.

I went with Helka to the central quarters of the temple to talk to the priestess that she had previously mentioned. But when we got there we were told that she had left a few days back to help some king that requested her. So we decided to wait for her. And in the days we had I could read the books that were held by this temple.

---

"Beautiful necklace you have there milady". Said a little girl.

"Thank you dear girl. It is a great necklace that when worn by me it protects you, my dear people".

She looked with awe at the green stone in the necklace as the sunlight hit it.

"It is so beautiful, it must have been made by dwarves".

"Ah yes, exquisite little details. Surely dwarves made it. Maybe some brothers".

I laughed.

"It's Brísingamen". She exclaimed.

I had not thought of a name for the necklace, as I preferred not to think of it too much because of the night it reminded me of.

"You know, this necklace was once stolen by the god of mischief Loki".

The little girl I had been talking to had been taken into the temple when she was just a few days old, as her mother was a traveling Völva and couldn't take an infant with her on the hard roads.

"This temple is my true mother. The temple of the mother Freyja". The girl said.

I was a mother without knowing. They were all my children. I soon found myself loving them and wanting to make their lives better. So while studying the books I had come for I also taught them more about magic, about the nine realms, the tree Yggdrasil and astrology.

The return of the priestess got delayed more and more, but I enjoyed every moment that I got to spend at the temple.

---

One day, as I was relaxing in the garden, a young girl came running my way. All excited she announced:

"The high priestess has returned! Lady Helka is waiting for you just outside the temple, so you can go in together".

"Thank you, sweet girl". I say as I pet her head.

She smiles and runs off somewhere.

---

"Are you nervous Helka? You're fidgeting". I ask just before we go into the room the high priestess was at.

"No, why would I be...".

"Alright. If you say so".

She opened the door for me and we go in. As I see her, I drop the book I had in my arms.

"Mom!".

Tears fall down my cheeks. I was in total disbelief.

"Freya, dear. You finally came". Her sweet voice hit me hard.

I was overwhelmed with feelings of happiness and relief. I ran into her arms and hugged her tight.

---

We sat together on a bench and I asked:

"How did you survive what happened in Alfheim, how did you end up here?".