Chapter 5

After the meeting with Odin, I told my maid I had to go back 'home' and 'discuss the meeting' with Frey. She didn't believe me, but she had no other choice than to go and prepare my stuff for our departure. She could tell that I wasn't up to tolerating any defiance.

The next day, after the Vanir accepted the request for the Bifröst to be opened, I went back, and took with me a few scrolls from Odin and a special blade I had gotten from his vault. The blade could not be detected by anyone that hadn't been cut by it first. I just had to prick my finger with it, a small sacrifice... Smaller then what I was about to do.

I had passed through the Bifröst. On the way through I thought that it would be the last beautiful thing I'd ever see. My mind just kept repeating 'a small sacrifice for the lives of many'. I felt as if thousands of lives were on my shoulders and the only way I could save them was through my death... I was greeted by Frey's personal guard and without any delay I was taken to the throne room.

"Back so soon sister". Frey's voice resounded through the hall.

I looked at the guard that did think I was a real princess.

"Yes... Brother. Odin has sent me back with a new proposition".

"Well, what is it?". He asked.

I look again at the guard.

"Shouldn't we go to a private room?". I ask, unsure if I can speak freely.

"He is a loyal guard. If you are worried that he might say anything you don't have to. He had his tongue cut out and he is also illiterate. It is the same as not having anyone here".

I watched the stern guard that didn't seem to even flinch at his words.

"Right... Odin wants to ask for your help in Alfheim in the fights between the elves". I go on to say.

"And what would we get by getting involved in the endless squabble?".

"Odin has agreed that he would allow for Vanaheim to claim some of the lands from the dark elves in exchange for the help". I answered.

Frey raised his brow.

"He did? Odin, the keeper of peace and balance between the realms did?". Frey questioned.

I tried hard to keep a straight face.

"He did".

"And you expect me to believe this? Or are you dumb enough to have really believed his words?".

His voice had risen, sending a shiver down my spine.

"I do not know his reason. But Thor mentioned he also wishes to go to Midgard and rule over the midgardians". I respond while trying to keep calm.

"Did the old man finally get sick of being the great protector? Maybe his alliance with a long time enemy has given him the confidence".

I just allow Frey to convince himself.

As he began to talk to himself I took out the knife. The guard looked at the hand I was holding it in, but then looked back to whatever he was looking at before. He hadn't seen it, just as Odin promised. I went up to the throne and sat down on my knees in front of Frey.

"What is this?".

I spoke softer so that the guard could not hear me.

"I wish to apologise. Odin had bewitched me and made me lie to you. Only now that I have told you everything do I know what is happening. Nothing I just told you was true. He enchanted my mind to convince you to help him. In truth he wishes to attack Vanaheim while the armies would be in Alfheim... I am truly sorry".