Chapter Thirteen- Kasey

I buckled my seatbelt and stared ahead. "Thanks for taking me home, Mimi." It was silent down the mountain for the rest of the ride. She understood what I was feeling, in some sense at least.

It's so stupid, why does Riley get to go overboard about celebrating her pride and then I'm stuck being the one that's wrong? Even Ethan is against me. I thought he would see my side but now he's turned on me.

I looked out the window at the swaying trees. The wind was so strong that it even shook the car. I was shaking as much as the car was.

I was so frustrated. I know Riley just found out that she's gay, but she doesn't need to start a business because of it. I guess it is pretty exciting though; you have your whole life thinking you're straight, then in comes a super-hot girl that you fall in love with to make you realize you're not. The trees open up as soon as I realize, what if I was wrong? What if Riley has the right to be proud of herself? Who am I kidding? Of course she does.

We turned a corner and more thoughts flooded me. I had probably been rude to Ethan too. I gave him a choice to make... I left him feeling so bad about himself. He probably feels like a jerk.

I saw the waves crash on the shore and disappear into white foam. The window was slightly open, so I could smell the salty breeze. That's when I yearned for Ethan again. I wanted to see the waves with him. He had been nothing but supportive of me.

An hour later, Mimi pulled up in front of my house and I sighed. "Thanks."

"No problem," she smiled at me, then drove off.

Standing in the driveway, alone, the wind ruffling my hair, I felt lonely. Even when my sister and mother came to greet me, I felt lonely.

I slept on it, but even the blankets felt cold without him next to me. When I woke, I expected his loving face next to mine. But I was disappointed. I realized that I couldn't and wouldn't live without him.

In my pajamas still, I trudged down the stairs. My mom was sitting at the counter, scrolling through her phone.

"Well, good morning." She said.

"Can I go back to the campsite?" I swallowed my doubt.

My mom looked at me. "You were just there."

"So? I wanna go back."

She went back to her phone. "No. You haven't seen your family for days."

I hardened my gaze and went back upstairs to begin packing.