Chapter Thirty-Eight- Erin

I got into my car and looked into the back. Ethan and Skyler were situating their bags in front of their legs. I stifled a laugh and asked if everyone was ready.

"I'm ready to go," Riley said. She had only packed her notebook and clothes. And, of course, a book. Or three. She was sitting beside me in the passenger's seat. 

"I'm good," Skyler said. Their voice had gotten significantly deeper in the week we hadn't seen them. I was skeptical on how testosterone worked that quickly, but I didn't ask. 

Ethan buckled and then gave me a thumbs-up. 

I started to drive and asked "who's gonna take night shift?"

"Not me," Skyler yawned from the backseat. "I'm too tired."

"I can," Ethan suggested. "I usually stay up late, so a couple hours won't hurt."

I nodded. "Well, get comfortable. The drive will be at least 2 hours before we can get up and stretch so Ethan can take the wheel."

It was 9 PM on the clock. "Let's see if we can get our hotel tonight." I merged onto the highway. "Riley, the number is..." I rifled through some papers, her staring at my hands until I eventually just handed them to her. "Whichever one says DoubleTree Hilton." I focus on driving now.