Chapter Thirty-Nine- Ethan

"I'm so glad y'all could make it," Riley said, grabbing Erin's hand and leading us inside the mall. 

It was a week before Riley and Erin were leaving for college, and she was taking us clothes shopping. What a weird last week request. 

But it was her week since she was leaving us, so we had to agree to go to Kohl's with her. 

Skyler sniffed. "Why are we even here?" They looked around. 

Riley laughed and motioned to her outfit. "Because this is what my closet is full of."

I had to agree with her there. She was wearing a Top Ramen t-shirt and black leggings. It didn't look professional to say the least. "And to get clothes for Skyler, right?" I'd gotten used to they/them pronouns for my enbyfriend. 

Riley nodded happily. "Come with me."

After an hour or so of Riley gushing over men's button-up shirts, she walked over to the jeans section and put four pairs of what looked like riding jeans to me. 

"Why those?" I asked. 

She smirked. "I needed a new pair." Before I could question further she ran across the aisle and bought four t-shirts. They all had brands of food or TV shows on them. 

She grinned. 

Skyler shifted their feet. "I don't know, this isn't really enjoyable..." I'd never heard them talk like that before, so I snickered.

They gave me a glare that definitely silenced me.

Riley frowned. "Well. Bye, guys."

Skyler hugged their best friend. Honestly I wanted to hug both of them. 

Erin got in the group hug and smiled when we all pulled apart.

Tears filled Skyler's eyes. "Bye, Riley. I'll see you in two years?"

"Oh, shut up. I'm coming to visit in the summer!" Riley laughed, but I could tell she was sad too. Erin took her arm. 

"Thanks, guys. You really helped me to know what love felt like." Erin smiled at us again, but it was so... gleeful. She really did love us all. 

"We start school tomorrow," Skyler sighed. "But I know that college starts next week. "I'm sorry we couldn't hang out more, but..."

I hugged her. "Yeah. We'll miss you. Both of you."

Skyler grinned. "Thanks for spending your parents' money for us." She waved as me and her walked away.

I hope that wasn't the last time we talked to them.