Chapter Forty-Skyler

I pulled my backpack on tighter and got on the bus. I sat next to Ethan. 

"Hey," he said. He scooted closer to me and I leaned my head on his shoulder. We knew that there was no kissing allowed on the bus. 

"Happy first day of school," I said forlornly. He knew how I felt, so he put a hand on my cheek and... let's say he broke the rule. 

We got off at our school and went to our assigned lockers. 

"Classes? Do we have any together?" I asked him. We had requested our lockers to be beside each other, obviously. 

"Um..." He looked at his sheet. "Science first period?" 

"Shit." I looked at mine, but I already knew that I had math. "Math. For second period I have gym with Mr. Orera."

"Yes! I do too."

I hugged him. "Third period I have Mrs. Bach for music."

Ethan shook his head. "I have-"

We were interrupted by someone in a baseball cap and white sweatshirt slamming their locker next to us. 

"Um, okay." I said snarkily. 

The person who had slammed their locker took off their baseball cap. Their hair was down to their ears and the hat had a hockey logo Kraken on it. 

"Riley!" I gasped and ran to hug my best friend. "I thought you were leaving for college tomorrow! Shouldn't you be packing?"

Ethan stared at her. "Yeah... where's Erin?"

Riley shifted her feet. "I... I decided to stay in 12th grade with you guys." She smiled. "I'll be joining you for gym, at least."

I froze. "Really?" I squeaked. "Wow. I didn't mean for my voice to go that high.." I coughed, embarrassed. "But I guess people will be misgendering me all around."

Riley took on a lecturing tone, like she usually did when explaining something boring as hell. "It's 2022 and we're Gen Z. Most people will say they if they don't know." She flashed me a smile. "See you next period. Also, I'm taking you home from school." She walked off and put her baseball cap back on. 

I looked at Ethan and tried to stop the tears flowing from my eyes. I didn't want my mascara to run. He gave me a watery smile and walked to science.