Chapter Twenty-One- Riley

I watched her, half asleep. I watched her, entranced.

Erin's beautiful light brown hair, short and bouncy, was waving around as she paced and talked to the Dairy Queen employee on the phone. She was getting exasperated, so I took the phone from her.

"Hi? We just want an ice cream cake in whatever orange shade you have, and on top can you- take a message- write 'Meet my girlfriend?' Thanks so much. Bye!"

Erin took her phone back. "Thanks," she sighed.

My fingers trembled as I touched her cheek. "Don't worry. We'll get everything done and ready to go. Are you gonna pick up the cake?"

"Yup," Erin said, "when is it ready?"

I glanced at her phone again. "About 15 minutes. You'd better go now." I tossed her a set of keys. "Take my mom's car. She won't mind."

Erin rushed out the door with the keys. "Bye. Love you." She blew a kiss, then left.

I walked over to the living room and dimmed the lights. I turned the radio on with a smile.

Soon after Erin had left, there was a knock on the door. Erin's and my parents.

"Hi! Welcome in," I opened the door for them. "Go ahead and sit on the couch, we have dessert in a couple minutes. Erin's on her way." I nodded to her parents. They were dressed well.

"Nice place," Erin's mom said. "I love the space."

I gulped and went outside for some fresh air. Erin soon arrived, very much not 15 minutes. She sat beside me and marveled at the cake. "I love it," she breathed. She leaned against me. "I'm so worried," she cried out of nowhere. "I've been keeping this secret from them for 10 years."

"That you're bi? I've known I was lesbian from only 12 years, so I guess that I haven't been keeping a secret for so long." I leaned my head on her shoulder. "It's a good thing that they know. And besides, I know that I love you either way."

Erin blinked at me and hardened her gaze.

"This is from Riley and Erin, they requested 'Girl Crush' by Little Big Town- and this is a very special request because Riley is coming out as lesbian to her family and Erin is coming out as bisexual to her family! Let's go Riley and Erin. Girl Crush by Little Big Town."

Me and Erin returned from the kitchen with our cake and set it down on the table to greet our parents' ghasted faces.

"Meet... my... girlfriend." My mom read aloud. Disbelief lingered under her words. "Seriously?"

Me and Erin kissed right in front of them, and then our parents said they needed time to think.

"G-go stay at a friend's house please. We need time to think about this and what it means."

"Ethan," Erin whispered to me, then raised her voice. "You all better be happy with Riley as she is because she's amazing and never going to change." She whipped around and began to walk out, but before fully walking out she turned around a grabbed a handful of cake and bit into it. "Thanks for giving us some time to eat cake, I guess."

I wanted to do the same, but I knew it wouldn't be as climactic, so I just ran out after Erin.

I called Ethan repeatedly, crying. I couldn't believe that my parents could be that way. Kicking me out of the house? I'd thought my parents weren't like that... but I guess not.

Kasey finally picked up her phone.

"What is it, Riley? You ruined me and Ethan's moment again."

I gasped in relief. "Thanks, Kasey! Our parents kicked us out... I can't tell if they're angry or what-" I felt emotion take over my voice so I paused. "We need to stay over at Ethan's place. Do you two have room?"

Ethan sounded angry. "You can stay in the attic if you really want. You're not intruding on me and Kasey's time anymore."

They hung up.

Erin hugged me. "Everyone needs space," she murmured and threw her bag over her shoulder. "We can walk. Let them cool off together."

I sighed and followed her on the long trek to Ethan's house.