Chapter Twenty-Seven- Riley

My hands shook as I hit the red button on my phone and hung up. My ears buzzed from all the information I'd received in the past 5 minutes.

My high school had called and told me that I was skipping another grade and graduating. It had taken a lot of consideration... but I guess I was going to college.

I wouldn't be able to have a real graduation. I would be going to college in 3 months! I would have to pack, say goodbye to my family (which keep in mind, I just came out to) and get accepted into a college!

I came back out to the kitchen with a glum look at my friends. "I-I really just don't know what to say. Guys, I'm going to college."

I winced when they all just stared at me. After at least 5 seconds of silence, Erin ran to me and hugged me. "Come to WSU with me! Please! We can be roommates!"

Ethan stared at me. "Riley... you already skipped a grade from 9th grade to 10th... but you were already going into 12th grade this year." Kasey teared up.

"Guys, I'm really sorry... but the high school said I'm really advanced for 12th grade. They said I should go to college to major in something I can focus all my time on." I hardened my gaze. "They suggested Wasu or UW... and I think I'm accepting."

Kasey grabbed my hand. "Please, Riley. We won't be able to graduate together... we won't be able to see each other."

I pulled my hand away. "A graduation means less to me than the actual education. Besides, I would be leaving next year to go anyways."

Ethan pulled his girlfriend in for a hug, and she was now wiping away her tears. "Class of 2024... so much for that."

I was outraged. "Just because I'm smart doesn't mean you guys get to ridicule me for wanting to go to college two years early! So just... shut up!" I threw my hands up and opened my phone. "C'mon, Erin, my family says that you can stay with us until your family cools down." I put my arm around her shoulder and we left.

We walked back to my house, talking about what I should major in and where I should go.

"I'm already accepted into Wasu," Erin remarked, "so you can apply there."

I nodded. "And I love music. But I love writing more... maybe a journalism degree? Because I'm sure they have musical electives anyway."

Erin kissed me. "Riley, calm down. You're excited. College will be a fun experience, okay? Sure, you need to get an application in soon but I'm sure your school will help take care of that."

I leaned into her with a sigh. "I love you, Erin." I glanced up at the sun. "Let's go. My family is waiting."