Chapter 29

“Let me make it up to you! Seriously, anything!” Harry pleaded after school with me as Ava listened to our conversation intently, glaring at Harry. She hadn’t forgiven him at all, yet I was leaning towards it.

“Harry…” I groaned. Couldn’t I have stayed mad at him for just a little longer? The anger of my humiliation from that night hadn’t completely left my system.

“You haven’t even tried to talk to me after… that night.” Harry complained, trying to avoid stating his wrongdoing. “You say that I don’t care, but if you really cared, you would have tried to get in contact with me three weeks ago!”

“I-” I was taken aback by his sudden switch of perspectives.

“You know what, Harry? You’re a dick!” Ava shouted at him, shoving him away from me, surprising both of us. Harry cocked an eyebrow at her, and then frowned at me.

“Ave, I got this.” I put my hand on her shoulder to stop her from probably injuring Harry in some way.

“But he-” she pleaded justification.

“Ava, this is between Lacey and I.” Harry butt in. Not a smart choice, Harold.

Ava sent him a scowl. “I wasn’t talking to you, asshole.”

“Ave,” I warned her. With my eyes, I told her through our strange telepathy that Harry and I needed to be alone. She groaned and went to look for Damian.

“Wow, it’s safe to say she hates me.” Harry chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

“With good reason. Harry, she’s my best friend and looking after me,” I explained, which I shouldn’t have to. He should know, when he hurts me, my friends are my family and they’ll support me.

“Yeah I know, I have the same thing,” He said, not matching my gaze. “That’s actually why I missed the date.”

“You mean when you stood me up?” I muttered bitterly and he frowned once again at me.

“As I was saying, Niall was having a crisis and I had to be there for him. You wouldn’t want to come between my best friend and I, right?” He continued to persuade me to forgive and forget, and I was starting to let him. I had already come between Zayn and Josh once, as well as Zayn and Brutus. I wasn’t about to do the same thing with Harry.

“No, of ‘course not! But would it have killed you to send me a text or call me when you knew you weren’t going to make it? Because that humiliation nearly killed me,” I bit my lip, melodramatically.

“Don’t do that.”

“Don’t do what?” I asked, confused. Did I say something wrong? Because I felt like I was handling this situation pretty well for my first real relationship.

“Bite your lip like that. I love it when you do that,” he smirked.

“So you don’t want me to do it because you like it?” I challenged, a smile creeping onto my lips. Maybe I should just forgive him and get this over with. You have no self-control. “Harry, stay on the subject.”

“How do you want me to make up for it? I have no idea.” He stated, and I felt like he was really trying to fix this, us.

“That’s the thing, Harry. I don’t know either, maybe you shouldn’t make up for it.” I spoke sadly, but Harry was becoming confused.

“So you are just going to forgive me that easy? I mean, it’s great but probably not possible. I don’t want you to resent me, babe.” He took my small hand in his large one, giving it a reassuring squeeze.