Chapter 38

[Why couldn't Ivy just listen to me? Why did she have to be so goddamn stupid?

"Lacey! Please! Stop right there!" Ivy screamed desperately after me. But I couldn't. I couldn't stop running away from the scene I had just witnessed. Aaron finally caught up to me and pulled me backwards into him. It was late, probably around 11 o'clock and no one was passing by Rusty's.

"Lace, relax." Aaron moved his face around to match my gaze but quickly looked away when met with my stone-cold glare.

"I never expected this out of you, Aaron. I thought you would be like Liam, and be able to control yourself. Obviously not," I spat and saw Ivy standing behind him, crying a river.

Maybe I should back-track, so you understand what's going on.]

--

Today was going to be a good day. I awoke to the smell of French vanilla coffee brewing and happily got out of bed, before making it. I pulled my messy, straight hair into a ponytail and, after brushing my teeth, made my way downstairs. There Lillian sat, her legs propped up on the counter, lounging in a tall chair. Even though she had just woken up, she still looked so put together and perfect.

"Morning!" She chirped, bringing her eyes up from her magazine and sketches.

"Good morning! Wow, that dress looks gorgeous!" I admired her drawings. Lillian was an aspiring wedding dress designer, adding to my feeling of being a burden for her when she had to move to a small town. As I presumed my pancake-making, I heard footsteps in Lillian's bedroom, Sandra's old room. Lillian didn't bother to notice anything, being so engulfed in her work. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

The footsteps became louder. Turning around from the stove back to facing Lillian, I almost dropped the plate of fresh pancakes when I saw Lillian kissing Hosea, her boyfriend. I didn't know he spent the night. Zayn spends the night all the time, what's wrong with it? Lillian and her boyfriend were obviously doing much more than Zayn and I would ever do. I didn't mind it, of 'course, but I didn't hear anything.

"Oh, Lacey this is Hosea. Hosea, this is Lacey." Lillian introduced the two of us, and we shook hands uncomfortably. I offered him pancakes but he politely declined, which made me feel incredibly awkward when I was the only one eating.

After the awkward encounter with Hosea, I went over to Zayn's apartment. I remember him telling me that he and Ivy were in another fight, but keeping away the details of what it was about. Just as I preferred it. Saying a small hello to Jack, I made my way up to his suite. I waited for a while at his doorstep before I was graced with Zayn's angelic presence. At least that's what it felt like.

"Hey! Come in!" He cheered happily, hugging me and pulling me inside. Unlike most guys living alone, Zayn kept his apartment neat and proper.

"Wow, I haven't been here in a while," I whispered to myself, remembering the amazing moments in this place with him.

"Sorry about that." He muttered, having heard me, and led me to the kitchen table. "You hungry?"

"No thanks, I already had breakfast." I smiled, feeling like everything was too quiet, and it gave me a foreboding feeling.

"So what do you want to do?" He sat down next to me with two coffee cups in his hands. I hadn't realized that I didn't have coffee yet today till he offered it to me. Gratefully, I took it.

He looked so tired, his hair was messy and his eyes were dark. He wasn't paying attention to me and grew a sudden fascination with his coffee cup. His phone was nowhere in sight, which was odd because he was never anywhere without it. His eyebrows drew together in concentration and his jaw was clenched. It seemed as if he hadn't slept for days. What's going on with him?