Chapter 25

~~Recap:

"You're a great friend Zayn," I said as I instantly clutched onto Zayn's body, bringing it closer to me. He hugged me back and rested his chin on my head. Like always, there was a ringtone to ruin the moment. But it wasn't Zayn's phone, as it usually was, it was mine.

~~

Harry was calling me. This was unexpected.

"That is my cue to leave." Zayn spoke, and I heard sadness in his tone.

"Stay?" I asked hopefully, picking up my phone to answer. But the front door creaked open and I heard high heels clicking softly and Lillian's humming, indicating that she was now home. Oh crap. She will get so mad if she finds Zayn here, assuming I am cheating on Harry.

"Is your aunt here?" he whispered.

"Yes. Take that as your cue to leave." I whispered in a panic. He bit his lip awkwardly. Why is he so hot when he is being weird and awkward?

"Okay."

"Sorry, but she can't know that you're here. She will assume the worst: that you and I are together." I said pushing him off the bed.

"That's the worst?" Zayn asked in a mumble, but I heard. I will definitely choose to ignore that.

"Thank you so much for being here for me, Zayn. Drive safe," I hugged him before pulling him onto the balcony.

"Anytime, Lace." He smiled and climbed off my high balcony. I don't know how he was able to get up here, but I don't care. It made seeing him much easier, something that I enjoyed.

"Lacey? Is that you?" a raspy voice sounded through the phone. My heart stopped and then shattered. Harry wasn't drunk, he was crying.

"Yes." It took everything in me to not apologize, even though I wasn't at fault. I heard a sigh of frustration, but he really can't blame me. He threatened to cheat on me because I was mad at him, what kind of sick person does that? But I love him. But do you really love him?

"Please try to make this easier for me." Harry cleared his throat and I rolled my eyes.

"Make what easier for you?" I asked innocently.

"Apologizing to you?" He posed it as a question as if he was waiting for me to stop him and tell him it wasn't his fault. And I was so close to doing just that.

"You could have started the phone call by apologizing." I stated simply, standing my ground subtly.

"You know, I hate apologizing to you." He snarled and I gasped in confusion. Wasn't he trying to fix this? Or will we just fight again?

"And why is that?" I sassily asked.

"Because you can be a real bitch sometimes," Harry snapped.

"This is your way of apologizing?" My breathing was becoming hard to steady.

"Wait, I need to get this off my chest. Your demeanor basically screams that you're better than me and out of my league. You act like a popular cheerleader who thinks she's better than everyone else, which is what you are so I guess I shouldn't blame you. I know the way you feel about my 'punk' friends, but I'm no different than them. There's a reason I don't want them to know you, so you won't prove your cheerleader stereotype to them and they judge me for falling for you like I did. A guy like me shouldn't love a girl like you, but I do." His voice was growing louder and by the end, I was pressing my phone against the pillow so I wouldn't hear any more of his hurtful words.

"That's what you think of me? After all this time?!" I cried into the phone without screaming so I wouldn't wake Lillian up.

"Yes, but I still love you."