Chapter 9

Today was the day.

I texted Zayn my address for tonight once we had finished talking on the phone, and I was on my way to school.

Surprisingly, he wakes up earlier than I do for some business that he does. He is so secretive when it comes to his 'business' which sparks my curious about it all the more. Nevertheless, instead of nagging him to tell me as if I was his wife, I let it go.

After my fifth period, I was grateful that I could spend my lunch with Ava. Damian was out with his grandma for a doctor's appointment, so today it was just Ava and I. She was probably excited that Damian was out today as well.

Don't get me wrong, we both love him with all of our hearts, but some topics we can't talk about with a guy around. One of these topics was Zayn. Ava has been grilling me all week for information on our friendship, or what she thinks is a relationship, but I would shut her down every time because Damian was present. And today I would finally answer some questions of hers. 

"Hey girly, I haven't seen you around all day." Ava nudged me as I was walking through the school hallway into the cafeteria, giving me a mini - heart attack.  

"Hey," I greeted unenthusiastically. She frowned but dropped it. 

"I was wondering if you wanted to come over today so we could go to Jack's party together. I know you hate driving your embarrassing car to public places." She smiled, and I pretended to gasp out of horror. 

"My car is perfect! All I need is for my vehicle to take me from one place to another, and it does a-"I paused to find the right word, "semi-perfect job at doing just that." We walked over to our usual table with full trays of food in our hands. 

"You mean hardly perfect? Anyways, so do you want me to take you?" Ava persisted with her initial question. Tell her, she is going to find you at the party with him anyway, my conscience opined me. And this time, I essentially obeyed. 

"As a matter of fact, no thank you. Zayn is picking me up and we are going to the party together." I stated. Ava's jaw dropped till it hit the floor and she did not even bother to pick it up. "I thought that, because he will be staying here for a while, he should make some new friends." 

"Oh, so you two are only friends." Her wide open mouth slowly turned into a smug grin. 

"For the billionth time, yes. Gosh, people need to start realizing the fact that Zayn and I can be just friends, nothing more." I spoke sternly. 

"If you are only friends, look me in the eye and tell me that you are not the least bit attracted to him."  

"What? No! I should be allowed to find any guy attractive without being accused of dating him! You think Zayn is attractive but I am not calling you his girlfriend." I rambled, taken aback by Ava's bold catechism. 

"So you think he is hot, check. You talk to him all the time, check. He beats up your ex-boyfriend, check. He is taking you as a date to a party, check. Sorry girl, but all road signs point to Dateville, USA." Ava listed. She did have a point, except for a few mistakes. 

"Zayn never even punched Josh; I stopped him before anything happened. And we are not dates for Jack's party." I resolved, smiling triumphantly. It was not very often that anyone proved Ava wrong in a debate, as she was lawyer material.  

"Fine whatever. I will drop it, for now." Ava quickly declared. She definitely did not want to talk about Zayn anymore because she lost the argument. "Anyways, I have to tell you something." 

"What is it?" 

"I am dating someone." My eyes widened. Ava fueled my extremely noticeable excitement by adding, "He goes to University of Arizona."