Chapter 47

~~Recap:

"I'm sorry, I'm clumsy and I-" I laughed, turning around to be faced with my favorite honey-colored eyes staring at me.

"Hey, Lace."

"Zayn."

~~

"Hey. Again," Zayn chuckled down at me, as we were still face-to-face. I could get lost in his smile and really wanted to, but I knew I shouldn't.

"Hi."

"Lace, I just wanted to-" he began to explain himself but I pressed my pointer fingers over his soft, slightly-parted lips to hush him.

"No, Zayn you shouldn't be here. What happened between the two of us was just awful. And now, everything's ruined." I explained, shaking my head at him and any thoughts he was going to verbalize.

"I just needed to know that you were safe." He snapped into the conversation, not letting me go on any further. And I was glad, because I didn't really know where I was going with that.

"Oh, okay." My voice had suddenly dropped to a whisper.

"You know, just because you pushed me away finally or just because you said that we can't see each other anymore, doesn't mean that there is a switch in my head that I can just flip to stop caring about you." His hand traveled to push a strand of straight hair that was framing my face behind my ear, like he always did.

"Oh, I wish there was." I replied.

"Why? Okay, look, I'm sorry about expressing myself a little too much because you are with Harry. But you can't just cut me out because you're afraid it might be 'awkward' between us. It was never awkward between you and me, Lace. You know that." Since when did he become so good at talking to me about these things?

Are you going to tell him about Harry? Good question, oh subconscious. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to correct him, and give him any thoughts he might have on the possibilities on us. I definitely wasn't over Harry, and dating Zayn wasn't going to help me in any way. But, he will find out sooner or later...

"I know." I spoke, deciding not to correct him on my ex-boyfriend.

Later it was, then. He would realize when I'd never go on dates anymore. And how long do you think it will take him to figure it out, huh? Oh damn it, why are you so annoying? Oh no, I was talking to myself again.

There was a silence between us, but I had to break it, not wanting to occupy myself with my thoughts. "So what now?"

"I - I don't know."

"Why are you really here, Zayn?" I asked, finally meeting his beautiful eyes voluntarily. He looked around the room until I finally grabbed his face to look at me instead of my walls.

"Because, I don't want to not talk to you, or see you, and hear you laugh, or..." he drifted off, and my heart fluttered.

"I don't want that either."

Before we could say anything more, Zayn immediately flinched at nothing. Well it wasn't nothing. It was Hosea's kitten. Giggling at Zayn's reaction, I reached down and picked up the Siberian cat.

"You got a cat?" he asked.

"No, it's Lillian's boyfriend's cat, and he went out of town for the week." I explained while Zayn's hand softly petted the kitten's ears, and it responded to his gentle touch by licking his palm.

After a few moments of the normal silence, Zayn spoke up. "So what's it gonna be?"

"What do you mean?" I inquired, and he raised an eyebrow in disbelief of my confusion.