Chapter 52

He kicked Noah one more time in the gut, and that was all it took for me to gather myself up and run to my old best friend's aid. As Zayn reached down to pummel him one more time in the face, I grabbed hold of Zayn's fist and threw myself backwards so as to pull Zayn away from him.

Not sparing me even a look, he tried to wriggle his wrist out of my grip, but I wouldn't budge. I kept shouting his name, trying to reach to him past his blinding anger. No, it wasn't anger. It was rage. Just as if Zayn had blacked out a few seconds ago, he must have been unconsciously mad at Noah. I mean, Noah was just a stranger to Zayn.

How could he hate him so much?

"Zayn, please stop! You're going to regret hurting him. And I won't let that happen to you or Noah!" I finally caught hold of Zayn's face, turning him around to face me.

Though I didn't think my boring brown eyes had much compelling powers, Zayn obeyed and turned his full attention towards me. It didn't make me feel much better, though. For now, the fire of anger in his yellow eyes was only inches away from me.

"Who the fuck is Noah?!" He screamed in my face, and I could hear desperation for an answer in his voice.

Before I could answer for him, Noah had already stood up and collected himself, fumbling with his jaw. "It looks like you've gotten much stronger since I've seen you last, baby bro."

Wait, what? Did Noah just call Zayn 'baby bro'? Why would he do that?
Zayn's brother was named Nathaniel and he was dead. He was supposed to be dead. So that must mean-

"Who are you?!" I demanded with a sudden command in my voice, and Noah's sweet smile crinkled his gorgeous features.

"He's Nathaniel. He is my brother." Zayn's spoke through gritted teeth and squeezed my hand till I thought my knuckles would crush into dust.

"I see that your memory's improved. I can't say the same for your anger issues," Nate – or Noah – chuckled, and Zayn growled, almost launching back onto him, but I stepped in front of him before he could.

"But you-you're Noah," I turned to look at whoever the man was.

"And you're Lacey. And that's Zayn. Glad we all know each other; now there won't be any awkward first meetings. Those are always so uncomfortable." He smirked; mirroring Zayn's usual face as he casually wiped the blood from his dripping nose onto his leather jacket.

"You're Nathaniel?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes, that's my real name. And Zayn is my younger brother." He finally explained himself a little bit.

"So why did you make me believe your name was Noah?" I questioned again, and Zayn scoffed at him.

"That question is for another place and time." Nathaniel refused to answer me.

"Wait, you knew my brother? When?" Zayn butt in, his inquiries directed towards me for we both knew Nathaniel wouldn't tell us anything.

"When I was around 10 or 11. He was my best friend," I confessed, and Nathaniel smiled.

"I missed you so much, Lacey." He briskly walked towards me and towered over me, ripping me out of Zayn's harsh grip and pulling me into his embrace.

It was just how I remembered it to be. I felt safe in his huge arms, but a different feeling from how I felt when with Zayn. He was just like an older brother – or how I pictured an older brother to be like – whereas I couldn't explain what Zayn's felt like to me. I reciprocated the hug and Noah – wait, Nathaniel practically lifted me off the ground and spun slightly around.