Chapter 8

(a/n: from now on the chapters will be in Lacey's POV, unless otherwise stated :) and a picture of Rusty's diner is on the side)

AP European History, the last period for the day, was a drag. So when Zayn texted me saying 'hi,' I was more than happy to respond. After turning my phone on silent, I texted him back.

Me: hey what's up?

Zayn: nothing. Just out for a smoke, and bored as hell.

I almost forgot that he smoked and already was I getting irritated. In my defense, the last time I had saw him was when he almost beat Josh up.

Me: oh. Well, I'm in school listening to a lecture about the Portuguese.

Zayn: Sorry! I forgot that you are still in school so I'm bothering you..

Me: actually you saved me. Mr. Thompson has a gift at putting all of his students to sleep in less than 45 minutes just by speaking.

Zayn: Haha, that sucks to be you right now.

The conversation went on for ten more minutes but he suddenly had to leave.

I took a look around, and ¼ of the class was asleep, others were texting, and the rest few were actually taking notes and paying attention. Usually, I would be one of the few, but not today.

My brain is finally processing that my mother will be in rehab and now I will be living alone.

The curly haired boy sitting next to me was on his phone, like me, but finally put it away and took up writing his notes again. At first glance, this guy didn't look like the studious type.

He was actually really good looking; his brown curls pushed up and back out of his face. He had tattoos, and his arms were covered in them, like Zayn.

Except for the fact that Zayn had an eyebrow piercing while this boy had a lip ring. He wore tight black jeans, boots, and a basic black V-neck.

Maybe Ava was right, I do have a type.

"Can I help you?" He asked, seizing me from my thoughts. Why does this keep happening to me? He looked like a badass, yet his tone was gentle.

"Sorry, I was just wondering how we have sat next to each other this whole year and never exchanged a 'hello.'" I said, trying to sound as cool as possible. I was biting on my bottom lip out of embarrassment from being caught staring.

"It's the beginning of the year. Okay then, hello my name is Harry." The boy smiled, emphasizing his 'hello' with a great wave.

"Hello, my name is Lacey."

"I know, I have heard of you." He spoke casually. What?

"And how have you heard about me?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"You are probably one of the most popular girls here, captain of the cheer-leading squad. Go figure." Harry smirked, looking me up and down. I'm surprised that Mr. Thompson has not heard us yet; that poor old man was so absent-minded.

"Well, how come I haven't heard of you?" I asked, not wanting to be subject to his stereotypical mockery.

"I like to keep my life on the down low." He said, still writing his notes on the lecture.

"Oh, so you want to be that mysterious kind of guy?" He nodded. "Luckily for you, I am pretty amazing at solving mysteries." I answered, laughing.

"I'd say you are pretty amazing." Harry mumbled, but I heard it. Ooh, somebody likes you! My conscience squealed, making me feel ten times more awkward than I already did. I just kept smiling; nevertheless, Harry knew that I heard him. There was a long silence between us, and the bell finally rang.