Chapter 34

"That dress looks amazing, Ave! And I'm really not just saying it this time." I smiled and clapped my hands as she waltzed around the fitting room like a bride, in a one-shoulder sleeve white dress.

"I feel like I'm getting married." She scoffed at herself in the mirror, but I shook my head.

"Prom, wedding, same thing." I pressed my hands on her shoulders from behind her and looking at her face in the mirror. "I don't know how Louis will be able to stop himself from jumping your bones that night."

"The plan is that he will." She turned to smirk at me, making me laugh.

"In this dress, I think Prom night will then go according to plan," I teased, and she nodded in approval at her dress. She looked like a Greek goddess, gracing the earth and my sight.

"Then it's settled! I'm getting the dress!" She finally exclaimed, and I squealed. Ava's mother stepped out of the closet full of gowns and gaped at her daughter's beauty, dropping the handful of dress choices that she held.

"You have to get that one!" She said, still in shock at how good it fit Ava's body. I smiled, knowing exactly how Mrs. Payne felt.

"Yeah mom, we already established that!" Ava groaned in annoyance. I shot her a look of disapproval at her rudeness she showed towards her mother. Sure, Ava's my best friend through everything but her mom was always a lot nicer than she was.

"Excuse her, Mrs. Payne. She's cranky," I laughed and Mrs. Payne smiled at me, sweetly.

"This is probably the billionth time I'm telling you this, call me Miss Karen or just mom, you're a daughter to me, sweetheart." Miss Karen hugged me, and she radiated warmth, just like her personality.

"Ugh, I can't get this shit off!" Ava yelled in frustration, trying to pull the side zipper down. Afraid she would rip it-which she probably would've, Karen ran to her aid and skillfully maneuvered the zipper all the way down.

"You're welcome." Karen chuckled and Ava glared at her, handing her the dress for checkout. She went ahead of us and I was about to follow her when Ava held me back, changing back into her boyfriend jeans and white crop top.

My nose scrunched in confusion and she look at me sympathetically. "Lace, I know what's going on. You haven't looked at a single dress for prom."

"I-I don't know what you're talking about. I've looked at plenty, and seen some really nice ones." I stammered and she wasn't buying it.

"You've only looked. You haven't even tried anything on." I knew she was right. I felt shame and embarrassment heat up my cheeks to scarlet. I didn't say anything and she finally realized my silence was from discomfort.

"Lacey, I'm your best friend. You never have to be embarrassed in front of me. Unless you did something really stupid: like gotten back together with Josh." She joked trying to lighten the mood and I smiled ever so slightly.

"I- I can't afford anything." I barely whispered but Ava somehow had the hearing of a bat and caught my words, processing them with a sympathetic look on her pretty face. "I've been saving up, though. I'm just running low. I didn't want anyone to know."

"Do you need some? I have a bunch saved up for the Europe trip, but that's later. Prom is now. You are now." She spoke with the utmost sincerity I have ever heard. She was even more seemingly sincere than Harry, which to me was impossible.

"No way, you have been so excited for the Europe trip before college ever since we met." I shook my head furiously. No way was I going to make my best friend pay for me because I was too poor and pathetic to afford it myself.