34: prepare for battle

A group of people gathered together in what seemed like a forest. They sat at a table where a buffet of food was laid out before them. It smelled divine, and Y/n wanted nothing more than to sink her hands into the food before her. Except, her arms were too short...

"Tsukiko, dear, you can't eat that yet," A gentle voice cooed. It was the woman Aurelia again. Y/n pouted, blowing out a huff of air.

She began to study the woman and her surroundings. Aurelia's hair was down instead of pinned up in its usual elegant bun. Next to her sat the man Daichi. The man's facial hair started to grow out and looked like a mess. It seemed like he hasn't gotten a lot of sleep from the tired bags under his eyes and unkept appearance. And next to him was a kid whom Y/n didn't recognize. The man and  pregnant woman beside him though, she did: Licht and Tetia if she recalled correctly. Another new man showed up late. Others began to ridicule him for his tardiness, which he brushed off.

"Patri, you're sitting right next to Licht again?" The new male teased the kid.

"He fought me for that spot," Daichi added, with a playful laugh. "I'm supposed to be the right hand, remember?" The kid, Patri, flushed red in embarassment. "Once they're married tomorrow, after the ceremony, Licht will belong to Tetia, you know?"

"Shut up," Patri snapped. "I'll do what I want."

"It's alright," Tetia assured. "Even though I'm getting married to him, Licht still belongs to everyone."

"Don't enable him, Princess!" The new, still unidentified man sighed. Y/n tilted her head in confusion. The woman was a princess? Princess of what?

"Well, eventually, you won't have time to spare. In a matter of months you'll be a father."

Licht merely smiled. He looked over at Y/n who only stared back with curious eyes. "I feel blessed, even by the mana. I'm so happy that we'll be able to have a child in accordance with everyone's wishes. And I only hope that they and Tsukiko will bring many blessings to this land."

"EVERYONE IS HERE!" Mereoleona bellowed, snapping Y/n out of her head.

Y/n found herself suddenly whisked away from the Arenuma residence by her captain and taken to the Capital as part of one of the Royal Knights. She didn't even have the time to acknowledge the fact that she passed since she had been basically kidnapped in such an unorthodox manner.

Nonetheless, she was still excited. Sad her friend wouldn't be joining her, but still excited. Also nervous. Did she mention nervous? Because, they would be charging head first into the Eye of the Midnight Sun's base. Seemed quite dangerous if Y/n did say herself. But she did known the terms and conditions of applying, so she had no room to complain. She just had to get out of her head.

"I AM MEREOLEONA VERMILLION AND I HAVE BEEN APPOINTED AS CAPTAIN AS THE ROYAL KNIGHTS," yelled the fiery woman. "IF YOU ARE HERE THAT MEANS YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN AS ONE OF THE ROYAL KNIGHTS. FROM THIS POINT ONWARD, UNTIL THE EYE OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN IS DEFEATED, YOU ARE ENTRUSTING YOUR LIFES TO ME!!"

Mereoleona paused, her eyes narrowing. Y/n rubbed her ears; she swore she was going to go deaf. She glanced across the room from her spot beside Asta, eventually seeing Yuno with Mimosa and Klaus. A frown settled on her face. He hadn't noticed her.

"Hmm...it seems like we're still short one person," Mereoleona said. "Are they making light of me?"

"Sorryy..." A slightly bored voice said. A figure dropped from the ceiling. "I ran a little late."

The captain instinctively turned, launching a flaming attack at the unknown guest. Her spell disappeared into a magic circle before firing back at her.