Chapter 4 - The Devil Reads Manga

"I'm impressed." Callahan said, a smirk playing on his lips.

My heart took a speed as I turned around and looked at him with a worried pair of eyes. If Fred told my mom and dad I would be doomed. 

"Don't get too impressed," I went near my couch and sat on it palming my face and said, "If he says anything to my parents, I'm finished."

Callahan raised a brow and asked, "Why?"

"Because they allowed me to come here because of him!" I answered and now my worry reached every cell in my body. 

He was the next town boy and we fell in love when we were in high school. Fred was the guy who was attractive and came from a good, sophisticated background, which made my parents agree with our relationship.

Fred would take any girl he wished yet he fell in love with me--or that what I had thought.

When he was selected to a prestigious college, I wanted to follow him too. There was another reason that I wanted to go out of that good 'ol town but I thought we were fated to be together. It was almost like a dream to have a boyfriend like him.

"Oh! No! Nothing is fated, honey," Callahan said as he pushed me out of the couch to a chair and placed food before me as he added, "That's some rubbish bullshit."

I gave him a confused look and shouted, "Stop reading my mind, will you?"

"Not happening," he said as he pushed the spoon in my mouth to stop my next outcome and as the food touched my tongue, I moaned, forgetting all of my anger.

"That's —that's amazing!" I moaned again as the taste felt like I had never eaten a dish like this before. 

"Don't moan like this, otherwise I will take it another way." Callahan said, making a frown on my face as I glared at him.

Callahan smiled gently and said, "You're welcome. I boiled the demon eye balls with hell onions and then put clawfish fingers in it with some witch blood. The dark sand sprinkles seemed to enhance its taste." 

My eyes widened as I got up, "Oh, boy! I need to vomit it out."

Callahan laughed as the dimple on his one cheek became prominent and said, "I'm kidding."

I looked at him suspiciously and asked, "You sure?"

Callahan leaned from where he was seated and his face became so close to me that I felt my heart pumping all of the blood to my cheeks. 

"If I wasn't sure, I would have done that yesterday and made you a minion of mine, Carson." He said his green eyes sparkling and turned hollow as I could see the depth in him. The darkness was so deep yet fascinating. 

"Your eyes are like a dark sky with twinkling stars." I said and Callahan looked at me with a deep frown as he pulled away.

"You are one heck of an angline." He said.

I blinked. "What the hell is angline?"

"A part that represents being an angel."

"Am I an angel?" I mused at myself.

Callahan laughed, "Don't flatter yourself. A person who could become an angel is also called angeline."

"Am I that great?" I was a little surprised but took it as an opportunity to praise myself. 

However, Callahan just knew how to crush my positive mood. "No. You are not."

I nodded as I mumbled while eating, "Thanks for letting me know, though."