Chapter 24 - The Devil is naughty

I came out and saw Callahan was sitting on his chair while his chin rested on his fist. The food was hot and vapor came out of the dishes as I neared the kitchen slab. I was still in my bathrobe.

"Earth to Callahan?" I said and managed to get his attention as his eyes moved toward me.

I raised my brow. "What happened?"

I tried to study his face but other than a blank face which had a chiseled jaw and a pointed nose and beautiful green eyes, I found nothing. Alright! I was bad at reading people's faces. But he seemed like something was bothering him.

"Nothing," he said with his usual tight-lipped smile. "C'mon, eat while it is hot."

One thing I knew from spending time with Callahan was that, even if he was troubled or planning some evil-ish plan, he would not spill anything. But there was a difference. When he was troubled, his posture would be a bit stiff and his fingers would be tapping the table or a surface and when he would be planning something, his palms would be clutched together. And as of now, while he rested his chin on his hand, the fingers of his other hand drummed the slab.

I narrowed my gaze at him. "Was me saying to you that 'I don't mind as long as you will be gentle' made you think like that? I was joking in case you didn't know."

I sat on my chair, looking at his most beautiful skill. He was an amazing cook.

Callahan smirked. "Of course, I knew that Carson McAllen would never go back on her ethics."

I nodded as I sipped on my juice. "I am impressed, Callahan. You are getting to know me."

And yes! I slapped him with his own dialogue which felt great.

A gap formed on his face parting his lips. "Is that my own words coming back to me?"

"Mmmhmm." I agreed and chuckled immediately and a grin plastered on my face not so after that. "Aren't I getting better day by day?"

He nodded. "Of course, you have to see how smart your mentor is."

"Don't joke in the morning." I said as we both laughed.

As we ate I asked again. "What happened? You seem a bit..." My eyes washed over him one more time, "...a bit stiff and distracted."

He chewed on his food as he said, "It's just some work in Hell which I need to complete."

"Oh." I didn't question further as I knew too many questions would annoy him.

We finished our food and I took both of our plates to the sink as I washed them and Callahan said, "Get ready honey, we will be late for our office."

My belly tickled as he called me honey but the next words made me halt my movements. I turned my head over my shoulders. "What did you say?"

"I said we will be late." He said with a straight face.

"No. No no! We can't go there together." I said as I placed the plates after wiping them.

"And why not?" He leaned on the slab as he crossed his arms above his chest. He looked damn hot in his white shirt and trousers. I was almost about to gawk at him but wait! When did he change?

"When did you change?"

"Just now."

I nodded as he asked with a raised brow, "Why can we not go together?"

"Because you are my boss now. I don't want people thinking that I am-"

Callahan cut me off. "Using my boss-ly powers. Yeah, I heard that before."