Last Minute Happy Birthdays (R.K)

best boys birthday (real) done last minute, might be terrible.
warnings: implies minor illness.
can be read as platonic or romantic, up to you!

Reki's birthday.

You've been there for a majority of them, the earliest you remember was his fourth birthday when his mom and dad took the two of you to Ishigaki yaima village.

Reki had hoped he would get to spend the entire day with everyone, just as they had done on Langa's birthday. And while they did, the entire time you were missing, claiming you were bedridden with a fever.

And it did hurt. His best friend for, well forever, was missing his eighteenth birthday. But it's not like he could be mad about it, you were looking out for him and everyone else by staying home.

At sunset after everyone's gone home, he packs a few slices of cake, snags a few other snacks and drinks, and rides his skateboard to your house, hoping he could spend just a little time with you before his special day ends.

He ponders on just knocking on your front door or just climbing up your window. He figures your parents are already in bed, not even expecting any visitors at the hour. He walked to the side of the house your bedroom window is on, knocking thrice before stepping back a bit.

His lips curve upward when he sees you wrapped in a blanket, tissues stuffed in your nose, and eyes droopy as you look at him through the blinds.

"Hey, y/n," he says softly, keeping his voice down just in case. "How're you feeling?"

"Like jello," you mumble, slumping onto your bed. "Sorry, I couldn't come to your birthday today."

He waved his hand, "It's alright, as long as i get to see you today, everything's good."

You hum, peering up at him from under your covers. "Your present is in that box over there," you whispered, pointing to the red and gold box on your desk. "It's nothing too special but... you know."

He pats your head, pulling down the top of the blanket over your head with a laugh. His fingers trace over the edges of the box before lifting the top, another chuckle eliciting when he sees the contents.

Inside was a photograph from his fourth birthday at the village, a monkey was pulling on his hair and while he cried you were beside him, nimble fingers grabbing onto the monkey's hand with an angry expression.

"You know, that monkey took out some of my hair and then ate it?" he said, looking back at you.

"I know," you laughed, "I think I tried to give you my own to cover the spot where he took it from."

You both broke into a fit of laughter at that, reki shushing you and telling you to be quiet even though his laughter was far louder than yours.

He let his body fall next to yours, fluffy hair barely brushing your nose from the proximity. Your laughter died out by then, eyes drooping and chest rising and falling steadily.

"Wanna sleepover?"

"Read my mind." he breathed out, wanting to pass out after that long day. "I'll go put the cake in the fridge first. did you already take some medicine?" you nod, tugging your blanket over your head.

After placing the container into the fridge he trudged back to your room, his fatigue slowly catching up to him once again. He flicks your light off, pushing his headband off of his head and into his bag, and settles under the covers next to you, gently patting your head once again.

"Don't blame me if you get sick, yeah?"

He chuckled quietly, "Don't get me sick and I won't." you laugh, hoarse and quiet. "Goodnight, y/n."

"Goodnight, reki. Happy birthday."

a/n: thanks for 30k reads, y'all are hot /platand sorry for lack of posts as of recent, i am sucky and hope to get back into writing :P

and sorry for lack of posts as of recent, i am sucky and hope to get back into writing :P