Part 2

The sun shines directly onto my face

The sun shines directly onto my face. The waves crash against each other gently. Birds are chirping. My tanned legs are tangled between the sheets and my arms are under fluffy pillows. My eyes flutter open to reveal this beautiful morning. A smile instantly spreads wide on my face.

I crawl out of bed and pick out a bikini from the dresser. I decide on the white one that makes me look even tanner. I pair it with denim shorts and an army green tee that I tie in the front. I slip on my dirty white converse and walk to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

"So, it's underground?"

"Yeah, apparently."

"How the hell are we supposed to find it then?"

"We've dug holes for ourselves before. We can do it again."

I hear four people talking on the back deck when I reach the living room. I open the back door and join them outside.

"Morning, sleepy head," John B smiles. "Wanna beer?"

"Sure, what the hell," I giggle, sliding down next to JJ under the railing. Kiara tosses me a beer, which I crack open and take a sip out of. "Hey, where's Sarah?"

"She stopped at home to check on her sister," John B answers. "Hey, guys. Should we officially teach Briana, here, the rules?"

"Yes," JJ hisses. Kiara nods her head while Pope does nothing. "What rules," I ask.

"You see, sweetheart, there are three layers to OBX," JJ starts. "You've got the Pogues, the poor people who work two jobs and live on the cut. We're Pogues and this is the cut."

"Then you've got the Kooks," John B continues. "The assholes on the other side of the island, figure eight, the rich people with two houses. Technically, Sarah and Kie are Kooks, but they hang with us anyway." He shrugs.

"Then you have the vacationers," Kiara finishes. "They're here for a good time for a week, then they leave."

"And we have this rule," JJ tells me.

"No Pogue on Pogue macking," John B states.

"Macking," I question. "What the hell is macking?"

"Kissing, rubbing, touching," JJ says a little bit loudly. "No Pogue should be with another Pogue."

I make an "Oh" shape with my mouth. JJ raises his beer can in the air. "To the newest edition to the Pogues!"

John B and Kie follow, shouting, "To Brie!"

I laugh, then suddenly, I remember what I overheard inside. "So what we're you guys talking about before I came out here?"

"Can we not tell her," Pope asks before anyone can answer.

"What is your problem," Kie asks, turning to him. "You've been hating on Brie since she got here."

"I still don't think we can trust her," Pope says defensively.

Kie turns back to me and says, "We found out a huge stack of cash is hidden under OBX somewhere, and we wanna find it."

"Kiara," Pope shouts. He looks angry. "Maybe I should just go," I say, standing up.

"Nah, you should help us find it, cupcake," JJ says, grabbing my wrist to stop me. "We'll give you an equal cut."

I look at Kiara and John B, who are nodding in agreement. I smile and turn to JJ. "I'm in!"

~

Later on, I'm laying in my bed, reading. Kiara, Pope and John B have left to meet up with Sarah and start on some research. That leaves me and JJ alone. I close my book, tossing it to the other end of my bed. I then stand up and walk to the kitchen to grab a beer. When JJ notices me, he quickly puts his phone in his pocket.

"What's up, princess," he asks.

"Princess," I scoff, turning to him. "Why princess?"

"Because you show up and get all the attention," he smiles. His smile is cute. "Jealous," I ask. That's when JJ joins me in the kitchen. He gets so close to me that I can feel his hot breath on my face.

"No, you caught all of my attention too," he says in a low voice. He takes the unopened beer from my hand and cracks it open to take a sip, then hands it back to me. For a moment, our fingers touched, sending electricity running up my arm. My heart races.

JJ finally backs away. "So whatcha wanna do," I ask, changing the subject. He rubs his chin for a moment, thinking. Then, he snaps his fingers and turns around to face me.

"Do you smoke weed?"

~

JJ has a brilliant mind. We took the HMS Pogue for a ride. We're out in the marsh, hitting a blunt. I lay on a seat, facing the waves. I hand JJ the blunt, and he takes a hit.

"John B said you stay at the house a lot," I say, hoping to start a conversation. "Yeah, my dad's not very fun to be around."

"Same with my mom. What's your dad do?"

"Drugs," he laughs, coughing up some smoke. "He's got this hobby. He loves to beat the crap out of me."

"Same with my mom," I say. "She has this special baseball bat with my name on it."

Did I really just say that? It wasn't my plan to tell anyone about my mom. She's not exactly a role model.

"My dad's got his hands, and that's all he needs, but sometimes he pulls out the belt."

"Oh, you still get the belt? Ouch."

I feel terrible. I have always hoped no one was going through what I was. I know how it feels to have a parent who treats you like the bug on the bottom of their shoe.

"Well, seems like we've got something in common," JJ says blankly.

"Are you okay," I ask.

"Yeah, I just don't like thinking about it."

Me neither, JJ. Me neither.

**Author speaking!
Hey, everyone! I hope you enjoy my book. This is the first one I'm putting on Wattpad, so if you have any ideas or comments, please feel free to put them in the comments. But please be nice!!

Question for You:
- What do you want to see in this story?? Give me suggestions!!