Part 53

John B Rutledge sits on the edge of the S

John B Rutledge sits on the edge of the S.S. Pogue, watching the sunrise. He stares at the sky, mesmerized by the blending of the colors. The way the sun beams onto his face is a beautiful show. The boat shakes from the smacking of the waves. Birds are chirping. It's a beautiful day.

However, John B is not paying attention to any of the beauty around him. He's too caught up in his own thoughts. He feels nothing but sadness inside of him. It has been exactly two weeks since his twin sister, Briana, passed away.

~

John B watched as his sister rolled around to face Rafe. She placed the point of the gun to his forehead. Something was stopping her from pulling the trigger. A shot was fired, but it wasn't from the gun that Brie was holding. Rose stood behind her with an exhasperated expression smeared across her face.

"Brie," Sarah yelled through her chokes.

All John B could think about was how any of this just happened. In a panic, he screamed, "No!" Tears poured out of his eyes.

"Holy shit," Pope breathed from the ground. "Oh, my God!"

"What the fuck is wrong with you," Kie shouted.

John B saw Brie move. She raised two fingers to her head. She was saluting them. Then, she dropped to the ground.

~

That was two weeks ago. Afterwards, the Cameron's left Wheezie and fled the scene. Of course, the Pogues went to the police. Rafe, Ward, and Rose were arrested, thankfully. Of course, Rafe and Ward were released from jail.

Today will be a bit harder. Today is Brie's funeral.

"John B," a voice calls from behind him. "John B!"

He doesn't have the energy to answer. He just continues staring at the sky. That is, until a hand rests on his arm.

"Hey," Sarah says softly. She sighs as she glances at the horizon. "It's a beautiful morning."

John B says nothing. He knows that if he speaks, he'll choke and end up crying all day again.

"Well, listen," Sarah begins. "Everyone's getting ready now. Whenever you're ready, your clothes are on the bed."

And with a kiss on the cheek, she leaves.

Inside, the Pogues are dressing in black. JJ stands still in front of Brie's mirror. He stares at his reflection, an inhumane man in a black suit. He slowly pulls out his necklace, the one with Brie's ring hanging from the chain. He remembers the rings. They were meant to be some sort of engagement rings. Never in a million years did he think he'd be here, preparing for the love of his life's funeral.