Part 39

⚠️ ⚠️ FIGHTING / GUNS ⚠️ ⚠️

It's been a long time coming

It's been a long time coming. I sit next to JJ in the Twinkie. The Pogues talk about what they'll do with the money.

"I'm gonna save for college," Pope tells everyone.

"Dude," John B chimes in. "That's so boring."

"Textbooks are expensive!"

"I'm gonna buy my own house," Kie says. "My parents can't kick me out of that one."

"I'm gonna buy my son a shiny new pistol," JJ remarks.

"No, you're not." I roll my eyes at his comment. He looks at me in confusion.

"Huh?"

"You're not buying Jack a gun."

"But-."

"No."

John B pulls the Twinkie into a parking spot nearby the sewer entrance that's closest to the money. He and Sarah climb out of the front seats, then open the back doors for the rest of us. JJ jumps out. He turns around and holds his hand out for me to take. I lay my palm in his, and he helps me to the ground.

Pope claps his hands together. "You guys ready," he asks.

"Let's go get that money," JJ exclaims.

The girls whoop and cheer as the Pogues begin to run to the sewer. When we reach the opening, JJ turns to me. "Brie, I don't want you going down there."

"Oh, my gosh, J," I breathe. "I'm going."

"But-," he begins.

"Shut up," I chuckle, pushing my hand in his face. I walk past him. I wait for Kie to climb down, then I follow her. When JJ and I reach the nasty water, Pope says, "Okay, this way."

The six of us tread to the hallway that leads to the safe. We're almost there when I feel something fuzzy on my leg. I scream, jumping closer to JJ. "What," John B asks. "What happened?"

"There's something fuzzy down there," I breathe, pointing to the water. JJ laughs. "What," I ask him.

"That was my leg."

I look down at my hands. "Oh."

"It's okay, princess," he chuckles. "Let's go."

When we reach the safe, John B turns to the group. "You guys have the duffel bags?"

JJ holds up two bags, and Pope holds up one. "Yep," the blonde answers.

"Okay," John B sighs. "Brie, would you like to do the honors?"

"Don't mind if I do," I smile, practically skipping to the keypad. I type in the numbers 300148, and the safe clicks open. I gleam at it. As I back away, the boys hurry forward and begin to stuff the piles of cash into their bags.