Chapter 19: Hoodies

I sat in the Boston Common later that day, listening to the the bands that was playing about a quarter of a mile away. Cheers and laughter of kids sounded from the duck pond and the park just a little walk from where I sat. I sighed deeply, taking in every aspect of life. As I opened my eyes, I saw someone with a hoodie on sit down next to me.

"Hello, Amber,"they said in a tone as if they knew me.

I scooted away, ready to run, but the stranger grabbed my arm and scooted over."It's Caleb,"he whispered in my ear,"Caleb..."

I looked down at this Caleb, before realizing that this was the person at the party who I'd taken an interest in. Caleb looked a lot different than I remembered, and a lot more modest than all the other teenage boys around the park.

I slowly moved his arm away."Hey Caleb."

An elderly couple sitting in a bench across the path stared at us. I made eye contact with the elderly man, and he just shook his head in disappointment and disapproval.

"I was just heading out to the band. Uh... Wanna come?"

"Don't you have someone to go with, like, a girlfriend or your parents?"

"No, not really. My mom works and my closer girl friend is out on missionary trips in Africa."

"How about your dad?"

Caleb looked away."I..."

I rubbed his back, and he sort of let out a half whimper half sigh.

"But she's getting remarried in August... He lives in Mexico though, so I'll be moving away,"Caleb says, breaking the awkward silence.

I hugged him tight."I'll make this summer the greatest yet."

"I hope,"Caleb whispered before grabbing my hand and pulling me off to the concert.

---

We grabbed some popcorn and some Popsicles before lying down on the grass. A person was sitting down and strumming their guitar, leading into Whispers in the Mist by Varien. I watched as each individual finger stroked a string as she played. One finger couldn't play the entire song, but once they worked together, it was a masterpiece.

I checked my phone, only to see a text from Jenny."Heading over to a friend's house. Be home by dinner. Emma watching Angel."

Another text from Emma said,"Going out for day. Jenny watching Angel."

I looked up from my phone, a bit confused. Caleb looked over, and I could've sworn a lightbulb flashed over his head. Caleb bit his lip-or her, I'm unsure and just jumping to conclusions- as he thought.

Caleb winked at me."You've got quite the conundrum, haven't you?"

I elbowed him, and he laughed. "It's been awhile since I've heard that word."

Caleb leaned back again, closing his eyes. I stared at the screen of my phone, looking at both text messages. The music blared in my ears as someone played a fast paced solo on the piano. I leaned back next Caleb, and we stayed that way for a while.

Around seven at night, I drove Caleb down to the China Town where we ate some fried rice and pork for cheap. I drove him home, in which it was only a few neighborhoods over from mine. Ms. Anneth greeted me and thanked me, but beneath that smile was something telling me otherwise.

I parked my car in the driveway, closing the door. My hands fumbled with my keys as I opened the door. There was a sound of crying coming from the kitchen. I set my bag down slowly. My footsteps became quiet and hushed. My heart began beating fast. I peered into the kitchen.

Only to see Angel curled up in a ball, crying her eyes out.