Chapter 30: Backstory

I looked towards Emma who saw my distress. She knew why I had looked over. We had the same plastered look of fear and loss. Because of my mistakes, Angel was almost dead and I lost custody of her. My parents were going to kill me. No wonder they said I couldn't raise a family if I tried.

Emma moved over and held my hand, squeezing it. I sighed before telling the nurse.

"We don't have them."

The nurse blinked."Then who are you?"

"Her step-mothers."

"You should have the papers."

"We don't. She was left on my doorstep when she a toddler, and I couldn't bare to see her alone."

"Who is she then?"

"Amber's niece." Emma stepped in, placing a hand on my trembling shoulder.

The nurse furled her eyebrows."I have no idea what I'm supposed to do under these circumstances, but I'm pretty sure that I can not put Angel under your custody. Let alone announce her your step-daughter."

I froze like a deer in the headlights. This couldn't be happening. A wave of emotion washed over me. I couldn't tell if I was angry or sad, confused or depressed, or giving in or fighting back. Emma covered her face and left, leaving me to say goodbye to Angel's accidentally dyed blue hair.

---

The sound of crying had woken me in the middle of the night. I had gotten out of bed, scared. My hand reached inside my drawer and pulled out a flashlight. A flash of lighting and thunder echoed through the sky, and I almost screamed.

"Okay... Amber... Try not to wake Em..."

I opened my door as it creaked, causing me to cringe. The hallway was dead silent. My feet stepped into the hallway where a few moving boxes lied, partly empty. All I wore was a tank top and my underwear. I walked downstairs, shining my light as I went. There was no one in the large spacious downstairs. Boxes littered the space, with pizza boxes across the counter. I bit my lip, wondering where the loud crying was coming from.

I dropped to the floor in fear when I felt a strike of lightning shake the Earth. Forgetting my fears, I stood up. My teeth clenched together as I marched towards the front door. As I neared it, the crying became louder and louder. I flashed the flashlight towards the door and threw it open.

I'm met with a girl who quickly stopped crying when I flashed the light in her eyes. She looked scared and afraid, and her eyes were welled with tears. She was holding a orange lizard plushie in her hand. Her blue eyes were puffy with redness.

I stared down at the girl."Are you lost?"

"My mommy said I was your responsibility."

I looked down at myself. I'm still a virgin... What the...

My eyes focused in the dim light. I recognized her small eyes and brown hair. But somehow she looked different, as if her innocence had been taken away. I took the small girl into my arms, not caring I was barely wearing anything. The small girl blinked before snuggling into my protective arms.

"Don't worry. I'll be your mommy now."

I looked out the open door, seeing a pair of headlights speed out of sight. My four year old niece didn't suspect a thing, but I did.

At least she cared.

But I wished she was here now.

~~

Eyyyy back stories