Chapter 1: Gone

Angel came running down the stairs at a top speed. I held open my hands and she leaped into them. She smiled hard. Emma groggily walked down the stairs, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She was rocking her new pink bath robe. They were both smiling though, and so was I.

"Auntie Amber!"Angel screamed. She threw herself into my arms.

"Seriously Amber...?"Emma said."I have a shoot tomorrow. And you know how important that is to me."

"Where's the happy Emma I'm used to?"I sassed, and she laughed and hugged me.

Only about a year ago, I got a call from my college professor saying that I was getting an internship at Los Angeles' newspaper. Of course, I accepted and had to move there for half a year, leaving Boston behind. I'd left my entire family to living without me. In the eyes of a villain, it wasn't that bad saying that there was only my niece and best friend.

Angel Hero is my niece. My sister left her with me after going to a life of partying. I was actually happy to have a younger girl in the family. People did think I was crazy, though, to have an eight year old child running around with you when you were eighteen. She was a strong girl, and I hoped that it would soon rub off on me.

Emma Diamond was a natural beauty. Our parents had met before we were born. We grew up as best friends, but I moved away when I was 11. We were both so sad, until her parents landed a job in Boston, and we were reunited again. Growing up, she went into modeling for Victoria's Secret.

I'm still very surprised that she's single.

"We're throwing a party for you coming back!"Angel said, walking into the kitchen and taking a cookie out of the cookie jar.

"With Mallory?"I asked.

"Amber,"Emma said quietly."You know... The thing that happened..."

My heart skipped a beat."Oh. Yeah."

"Most people moved away, which includes... Everyoneintheneighborhood."

"Ahem. What?"

"Everyone is gone. It's all new people."

"New people?"

"Yeah. I met most of them and they're pretty nice people. You'll enjoy them."

I plopped onto the couch. My heart was beating fast. I never got any calls from anyone about them leaving. The lights flashed off above me. Angel and Emma slowly climbed the stairs, and I lied down. My eyelids slowly closed.

My thoughts swirled around me. Past things that had happened that day echoed through my mind. I tried to focus on what I would write the next day. My brain had just ran dry. Shut up brain! I screamed inside of me, and that was enough. Soon, I fell asleep.