Chapter 28: Friend

The friend was sad.

Even after traveling back to Canada to be with his family, he was not able to cope with the fact that his best friend was gone. Nights in bars were the only way out for the friend. He travelled alone on whatever transportation he could as he tried to get away from his family telling lies. They told him everything would be okay. He knew it was not going to be okay.

But surely enough, some of the people he'd met at the bars got him to go seek help, so he always had regularly scheduled psychotherapy at the hospital. He trusted the doctor, and the doctor trusted the friend. All life in the friend's life seemed to be getting happier and happier.

But the doctor moved to Boston, and the friend was devastated. The friend's family saw his distress and quickly moved him to Boston for better treatment and fear that his PTSD would grow stronger until he decided to take his life. The friend was soon living in Boston, alone with his new German Shepard dog.

When he went to the new hospital, there was always another girl sitting in the back corner reading. A blue haired child was always with her, drawing or playing with trains. On all the days he went, the girl was there too, always showing up with a different book ranging from the comic version of Homestuck to Fifty Shades of Gray. But of course, the friend never took an interest.

On a Monday in February, he finally managed to talk to the girl. She was very outgoing and liked to talk to the friend, but sometimes she would be startlingly mad at the child with her. She explained it was just her illness, and that she would never tell if she wasn't inflicted. But even through that, the friend liked her company.

But one day, he girl stopped coming. The Monday after that, she was gone. The friend felt everything crumble around him, like a part of him had been taken away. The friend lost a will to do anything, so he stayed at home. He neglected doing anything, so much that his dog ran away, and the friend presumed it died of starvation.

---

I was interrupted in the middle of an episode of Modern Family when I got an urgent call from Emma. Supposed by her calling me during her office hours, I picked it up. There was suddenly a scream and a yell that was incomprehensible.

"Amber! You need to get down to the hospital now!"

"You're already having you're baby?!"

"No! There's no time to talk."

I stood up. Trey looked over and snatched the blanket off the floor as it fell off me. Quickly, I grabbed my bag and slipped on my shoes. Trey looked over and stood up.

"What is it?"

My eyes darted around the room, and then landed on my phone. I put it to my ear.

"I can answer Trey's question,"Emma answered.

There was a long pause before she said the regretted words.

"Angel has mercury poisoning."