Chapter 7

Marissa grabbed a couple of pancakes and a banana and sliced it. And she also grabbed a glass of orange juice and sat down at a 2 person table. And she began slowly eating her pancakes and bananas. Why did he get to her? She was only being nice to him and she felt bad for him because he lived in a nasty basement. But that didn't have anything to do
With her paying him back, did it? Maybe it did.  Oh well, she couldn't help his outrage.

Back in the room, Drake goes through the bags, realizing she bought him some clothes. The only thing he didn't have was pajamas but he could sleep in his clothes. Until he stopped and got some. And he sees the shoes and socks. And that's when it hits him. She was being nice and trying to think of him and he thought the worst of her. He jumped to conclusions and probably hurt her feelings. So
He grabs a pair of jeans and a thermal that is navy in color and puts them on with a pair of his new boxers and some socks. He puts the boots on as well.

He walks down to meet her in the breakfast area. He sees her sitting alone drinking her orange juice. So he grabs a banana and a bagel. And sits with her. She looks up at him. Her expression is blank. He begins eating the bagel. And she continues to give him a blank look.

"I'm sorry about earlier, I shouldn't have gotten so angry, and thank you for everything," he said. She notices his attire fits perfectly.

"Apology accepted, if I wanted to leave you out to dry, I would have by now, and if something goes wrong, I can handle it, put some trust in me as I do you," she said getting up. He sighs and looks down. He didn't trust her. And that was bad.

She walked outside and sat on the bench outside. Watching the clouds roll by. It was a gloomy day. But it was October. And it was cool. And she likes this weather. It reminded her that though it was cold there was warmth inside. And the heart was warmer than anything. Well, hers was. She wandered about his.  And he was still debating whether to leave her alone or go to her. But maybe she needed to breathe. So he left her alone.

Marissa watched in the distance. She kept noticing a black SUV at first it was sitting at the end of the road and then it began coming up the side road. She had a bad feeling about it. So she went inside and ran to her room. She ran inside and closed the door. Drake looked at her in concern.

"Marissa what's wrong," he asked. She ran to the window. The SUV was getting way too close. And they were parked in front. He followed her over to the window. He swore under his breath.

"They followed us somehow," he said. She looked at him. And then back at the SUV. Seemed like they knew they were there. But there were no news articles anywhere.

"Get your stuff I have a plan," she said. He looked at her in confusion.

"I'll keep them talking in the lobby you sneak out and get in the back of the car, I'll pretend you handcuffed me and I escaped with my car. Just trust me," she said. He thought that was a pretty good plan.

"Okay, but if anything goes wrong, I'm not going to stay in the car, so you better know what you're doing," he said. She nodded. He grabs all of his bags.

The men pull up to the front. Marissa walks out of her room heading into the front of the lobby. The men notice her and they look at each other. The woman at the desk notices them too and Marissa shakes her head. She stays back. Marissa gets closer as the two men step into the lobby. They don't look happy but Who would?

"Marissa Daniels?" They ask. She nods.

"Where is Drake Williams," one of the men asks. Both are husky.

"Well, let's see, he grabbed me, took me to a gas station, handcuffed me to my headrest, where I picked the lock, and I left him back at the gas station, but I came here because he knew where I lived and I thought I'd be safer," she lied. They looked at each other and back to Marissa.

From behind them, Marissa can see Drake sneaking over to the car. He is a few feet from it. So Marissa keeps them looking at her. That is tricky but she manages to do it.

"So gentleman, who sent you to rescue me? Was it my boss," she asked. They looked at each other again.

"We don't get paid enough for this, if you see him again please give us a call," they gave Marissa a card.

"Will do," she said noticing Drake in the back of her car. The two men left her standing in the lobby and entered their SUV.

Once they pull out, Marissa runs outside and opens the driver's side door. She sighs a breath of relief.  She was happy to know he was okay and that he made it safely. He smiles at her and gets up from the seat. He exited through the side door. He grinned at her. She was just glad that was over with.

"You did it, you bought us time," he said. She shrugged I'm successful. He was so proud.

"So what now," she asked him. He kept that thought on him for a moment. And the. He spoke.

"Is there somewhere you like to travel to," he asked. He was asking her where she likes to go. That wasn't like him. Maybe he did trust her.

"Well, I like Kansas City, it's not too cold this time of year," she said. He thought about it for a moment.

"Okay, well, let's go to Kansas City," he said.