Chapter 31

Marissa closed the door crying. She looked at the bag in her hand. She wanted to forgive him but had had hurt her twice. And maybe to her, he was everything but was she everything to him? She didn't know. She sat on the bed and thought about it for a while. And she didn't notice she had missed dinner. And she wasn't hungry. She was tired and ready to give in. Throw in the towel. He did apologize to Justin.

She looked at his bag and realized she hadn't opened it. So they opened it. And inside was a box. I small box. With a letter. She opened the letter. And began reading.

'My dearest Rissa,

I have been writing these words and throwing them away because I was never good at showing my emotions unless I was writing, so I'm writing this to tell you how I feel, in this box is a token of the love I carry for you. I've never loved anyone before but I think I know now what that feels like, I care for you deeply and that scares me. I pushed you aside and I screwed up. All you wanted was me, and I pulled you away from it, when my mom said you had everything I realized you meant me. When I took you you saw me, not a criminal, but the real me. And no one had seen that part in a long time. Except my parents. And I was afraid you would eventually lose that faith in me, but you proved that it only made you want me more. And for that I am grateful, you are my everything too. I only made you leave so that you wouldn't get close. Because I was afraid I would hurt you or you would see the monster everyone lied about me being. But now I know by doing that I pushed you farther from me. If you forgive me and accept this promise that I will never hurt you ever again and I will only ever be there for you to care for you and show you how much you mean to me, meet me in the place where beauty finds the heart in the beast and I'll know you feel the same,

Love, Drake,"

And inside was a ring. One silver band with a heart-shaped diamond. And engraved inside was a message 'My promise to love you.'

She cried. And cried. And she realized that he left her a message. She needed to see him. Beauty finds the heart in the beast, she thought about those words for a while.

"Of course, the study."

She dressed down in a more comfortable dress it was navy blue with gold trim. And she wiped her eyes. And she grabbed the ring and the letter and placed them in the bag. And she walked out. It was around eleven at night and the dinner party was over now. She slipped past the rooms and headed down to the study. She was trying to be very quiet.

Once she was down there, she stood at the door. Drake was on the other side. Looking out the window. And he kept checking his watch. It was getting late and he didn't think she would show up. So he sits on the chase with tears in his eyes. He would never find anyone as good as her. And he knew that. And he was mad at himself for being so jealous, and rude to her.

She opened the door quietly. Expecting him to not be in there but he was. And he heard the door open and noticed her coming inside. He was still in his suit and tie. He stands up with relief. She shut the door and placed the bag on the desk. He doesn't speak a word.

"I read the letter, and I saw the ring, and I just have to say something first," she said. He quickly paced over to stand in front of her.

"Rissa please forgive me I'm beside myself," he said. She gulps.

"Drake, let me explain something please, when we met I didn't believe you nor did I believe you or trust you, but when you showed me the empty barrel gun, I knew then you wouldn't harm anyone, and I trusted you and I knew you were more than some murderer, and spending time with you, on the run for two weeks, and then moving into your house in New York over the holidays it made me realize I can't keep running," she said. He bows his head and then looks at her again.

"I need to plant my feet, and if that is hear then great, but there is one thing I will never be able to live without," she said. And she takes a step forward.

"When you pushed me away I lost myself because I found her in you, I wanted you, and I still do," she said. He cried smiling. And she places a hand on his face.

"Because I found a love I never knew about, and you showed that to me when you were willing to risk everything to protect me, and I'm so thankful I met you, but Justin was right, we write our destinies. No scandals no written in the stars," she said. He grabs her hand.

"Rissa, forgive me please," he says. She smiles knowing he means it. And she nods.

"If you'll forgive me, I will forgive you," she said. He shook his head.

"There's nothing to forgive, you didn't do anything," he said. She smiles. He leans down to kiss her head. She closes her eyes. And when he pulls away she sees a spark in him. And she hadn't seen it in a while.

She pulls him down to kiss him passionately. Wrapping her arms around his neck. He wraps his arms around her waist. Deepening the kiss. And in that moment she knew that this was where she belonged. With him. Always with him. And he knows she is her peace. And together they were brighter than any stars.

"I love you," he said. She smiles pulling back.

"I love you too," she said kissing him again. It was short this time. And when he pulls back he grabs the ring out of the box and looks up at her. She holds her left hand out. And he slides the ring upon her ring finger.

"I promise to love you and care for you until I die, and I promise to be your peace, as long I live, I love you," he said. She hugs him.

"I love you too, Drake," she tells him. And they sit on the chance watching the moonlight.

Nothing was more perfect than this. To them, the love they shared was more important than any amount of fear. And they were happy together. And better together. And even though the road isn't easy, they had each other and that's what mattered most.