0.0

JJ was sweating. Panting. Heaving.

The ring lights shone onto the pair in the ring. Neither registered the sound of the fans yelling and whistling and shrieking.

The men tested each other, jabs and blocks. Logan tripped and landed a good blow on JJ's ribs, but the follow-up, a hook to JJ's jaw, caught air as Logan astutely pulled his head back. A stupid mistake, JJ thought but gone from his mind in a moment, that's what Viddal says, dwell on the past, you'll die in the present.

The judges scored their points for the first three rounds. The audience grew restless, cat-calling. To them, nothing seemed to be happening, but JJ felt Logan tiring, he'd lost a tick, as the coach said. Now was the time to pay attention, don't lose your guard, watch for that dropped guard, keep your eyes on the prize. Be patient, take your hits, that pretty boy bitch will make a mistake.

Fifth-round bell. Still nothing. JJ sat on the stool, tasting blood in his mouth, a cut on his lip. Coach jabbers in the corner, massaging his sore shoulders, his voice washed over JJ like a comforting hard shower. He did not process a word that was said. What had caught his eye was his wife sitting at the front row staring intently at JJ gripping her purse tightly. If you want me, fight for me. The words echo in his head.

Sixth-round, a minute in, two minutes in, last minute.

Then both men are saved with the sound of the bell. It was done. Tonight the winner would be determined.

Two minutes. It took two minutes for the judges to count up the scores. JJ's chest heaved up and down, but the adrenaline in his blood numbed out the pain in his muscles. His eyes turned to Hadiyeh. She offered him the most reassuring smile she could muster.

Those two minutes could possibly go on the list of the biggest moments in his life. Next to the time, he was down on one knee waiting for Hadiyeh to say yes.

The judges had finally concluded the scores. The two opponents stood next to each other, both waiting intently for them to announce their totals.

"Scored 56 - 55 the winner by a split decision from the United Kingdom, the Nightmare!"

Written: 22/08/2021
Published: 31/08/2021

(THE SEQUEL IS HERE!!!)