Chapter 2: Fireworks

"Time to wake up children," the boys heard in their heads, "You must wake up, You must awaken, NOW." They all startled awake, finding themselves lying in test pods. Their attacker was just watching them.

"What? What do you want? Quit staring! You're creeping me out.." Kid Flash huffed. He couldn't help rambling out of discomfort. He was ignored.

Trying to move his arms to sign, Robin momentarily froze in panic when he couldn't. He tried to push down the feeling, sending a look the speedster's way. The feeling of being trapped in small space had him feeling anxious. He subconsciously shivered.

"We free you and you turn on us," Kid Flash couldn't help biting out.

"Kid, please. Be quiet now," Aqualad butted in, noticing that the other was going to say more,"I believe our friend was not in full control of his actions."

As they were talking, Robin was discreetly picking the lock as they spoke, making use of the tool in his glove.

"What if I- What if I wasn't," the clone spoke up.

Kid Flash's eyes widened as he blurted out in shock, "He can talk!?" Way to go, Kid Mouth.

That comment earned him a glare from the clone, "Yes. He can!"

Noticing the looks the other two were giving him, he shrugged sheepishly. "Not like I said 'it.'"

This was getting them nowhere. Aqualad turned back to the clone and realized, "The genomorphs taught you. Telepathically."

"They taught me much. I can read. Write. I know the names of things."

As the other two tried to convince the clone they could help, Robin continued to pick the locks of his bindings. "Great. They just had to bind their arms. Damn cautious bad guys."

"But have you seen them? Have they actually let you see the sky or the moon?" Aqualad asked gently.

"Images are implanted in my mind, but no; I have not seen them," the clone replied.

"Do you know what you are? Who you are?" Aqualad continued.

"I am the Superboy, a genomorph, a clone made from the DNA of the Superman, created to replace him should he perish, to destroy him should he turn from the light," was the monotonous response.

Kid Flash and Robin shared a look.

"To be like Superman is a worthy aspiration, but, like Superman, you deserve a life of your own, beyond that solar suit, beyond your pod, beyond Cadmus," Aqualad continued to try and reason.

"I live because of Cadmus! It is my home!" Superboy was getting defensive now.

"Your home is a test tube. We can show you the sun," Aqualad said cautiously.

Kid Flash finally interrupted, "Uh, pretty sure it's after midnight, but we can show you the moon."

"We can show you- introduce you to Superman." Aqualad continued, ignoring Kid Flash.

"No, they can't!" Desmond interrupted. "Activate the cloning process."

"Pass! Batcave's crowded enough." Robin thought with a grimace. If there weren't enough people, there certainly were enough flying rodents.

"Get the weapon back to its pod!"

"Hey! How come he gets to call Supey an it?" KF asked. You'd think being a speedster gave you more time to think before speaking..

"Help us." Aqualad pleaded, looking Superboy in the eyes. The other didn't have any time to consider it, as a genomorph hopped on his shoulders and forced the clone to leave the room.

As the doors closed, all that could be heard were their cries of pain as the pods turned on. All three were getting electrocuted and all Aqualad could do was pray the clone got Superman's hearing.

"Superboy, you live. That gives you the right to follow your own path. A weapon or a person; the choice is yours, but ask yourself, 'What would Superman do?'" Aqualad murmured.

-SKIP-

The door to the lab was ripped open and the cloning process stopped as Superboy growled out, "Don't give me orders."

He turned away from the man on the ground to the three in the pods.

"You here to help us or fry us?" KF asked.

Superboy's eyes narrowed and he paused. It was like he was contemplating it before he replied nonchalantly, "Huh. I don't seem to have heat vision, so I suppose helping is my only option."

Robin grinned. "Guess it's not hard to learn attitude." He jumped out of the pod and rubbed his wrists. "Finally! Lucky Batman isn't here. He'd have my head for taking so long."

"Seriously? That's what you're worried about? The whole League'll have our heads after tonight!" KF whined as the other helped him out of the pod, earning an odd look from Superboy as he did the same with Aqualad.

"You'll never get out of here! I'll have you back in pods before morning!" Desmond cried out as the four ran out the door. Robin rolled his eyes and signed to KF about the man's "lack of being whelmed." He made sure to throw explosive birdarangs at the blood samples on their way out.

"Really, if they just needed blood samples a simple needle would've worked better than electrocution."

-SKIP-

They got out of the rubble, clothes a little torn and small bruises but overall, safe.
"We did it," Aqualad said softly. His tone full of awe.

"Was there ever any doubt," KF asked. Knowing that Robin was thinking the same thing, they went for a highfive- only to hear small cracks at their ribs that caused them to clutch their sides.

Today was the day.