Chapter 15

Carly's P.O.V.

We were following Daryl until he stopped.

"She was doing just fine, up until here." He said looking around. "Instead of still going she headed off that way..." He said pointing to the right.

"Why would she do that?" I asked.

"Maybe she saw something, spooked her?" Shane asked.

"Walker?" Glenn asked.

"Naw, I don't see any other footprints." Daryl answered.

"So what do we do?" Shane asked.

"You and Glenn should get back up to the highway. People are gonna start panicking." Rick said.

"What do we say?"

"Tell them we are on her trail and we are doing everything that we can. But most of all, keep everybody calm." Rick said.

"I can have them scavenging cars; take up a few other chores." Shane said. With that, Glenn and Shane were on their way.

Rick, Daryl and I just kept looking. We followed behind Daryl as he followed the tracks. The tracks started to fade.

"Tracks are gone..." Rick said.

"No Ya think..." Daryl said.

"They ain't gone. She came through here." I added.

"How can you tell?" Rick asked.

"Do you want a lesson in tracking or do you want to find the little girl?" Daryl said. I rolled my eyes and followed the tracks.

"You may not see them in the dirt, but when you look at the way things are positioned and moved or broken you can see where something went. You have to also make out, whether it is reasonable for things to go through it or cause the damage and things..." I said while tracking.

Daryl took the lead and Rick turned to me.

"How do you know to track?" Rick asked. I looked at him.

"I've done it for years. How do you think I always knew where you and Shane were going to come from so I wouldn't get caught?" I said.

"Oh... You outsmarted us." He said and I smirked. We tensed as we heard a rustle in the bushes. We looked through them and saw a walker. Daryl told us what to do with his hands and we took down the walker.

Rick started to look at the walker's nails. I looked at Daryl who was just as confused.

"What are ya lookin' for?" Daryl asked.

"Skin under the fingernails, it fed recently. There is flesh caught in its teeth." Rick said as he took it out from the walker's mouth.

"What kind of flesh?" I asked.

"Only one way to know for sure" Rick said taking his knife.

"I'll do it, mine is sharper." Daryl said as he started to cut open the Walker with his hunting knife. I flinched every time.

"Here comes the bad part." He said as he started to move around everything that is inside the now open stomach.

I started to get sick as I saw him take everything out. I covered my mouth.

"Yeah... He had a pretty big meal. I felt it in there." Daryl said as he pulled it out. Rick started to cut it open.

They pulled out many things and then Daryl stabbed something, he lifted it up and turned it around.

"This gross bastard had himself woodchuck for lunch." He said.

"At least we know" Rick said.

"At least we know," Daryl repeated as they started to walk off.