Chapter 39

Days later

Things have been crazy for the last few days, Hershel, has finally woken up, the prisoners were on their side of the prison, and Lori was due very soon.

Hershel wanted to get up and walk around. Carl and I got him some crutches and helped him stand.

"Careful there." I said as he nearly lost his balance. He gave me a small chuckle and began walking out of the cell block.

The blinding light shone in my eyes as I walked out of the prison and into the yard. I helped keep Hershel steady as Carl walked up to us.

"Hey Hershel, you ready to race?" Carl asked hopefully.

"Give me a day or two and I'll take you on." Hershel said bringing a smile on Carl's face.

I adverted my sights to the four boys in the yard. Each one looking up at us.

"Way to go Hershel!!" Glenn cheered as Rick smiled. T looked over and gave us a wave. I looked at Daryl who had a ghost smile on his face. He brushed his bangs out of his face and held his hand up on his forehead. Shielding his eyes from the rays of the sun.

We were all having fun, just watching the tough son of a bitch Hershel survive his walker bite, and walking around. But our fun was soon cut short as the screams of terror were heard.

"Walkers!" Carl shrieked.

I look over to the gates and my smile fell as I see walkers filling the yard once again. Lori and I ran out. She refused to listen to me as I said to stay with Hershel.

Gun fire had filled the air as I heard people shot the walkers. Carol and T-Dog ran to the gate. I followed after them. T-Dog shut the gate as I noticed a walker going behind him.

I pulled out my gun, and with a quick scope, I shot the bullet letting it land on the floor. T-Dog turned around frightened but gave me a head nod once he saw me and the walker. I nodded back and turned around to aid the others.

Bullet after bullet I shot the walkers, reloading when I needed. Soon I was surrounded. I shot again, but the clicking sound signals that I'm out of ammo. I put the gun back into my hostler, and pull out my knife.

Sure it wasn't going to do anything, but I would die trying. I ran up to a nearby Walker and stabbed its brain. The squishing sound notifies me that my target was hit.

More walkers began to circle me, and I was left with no exit. I had no where to go, and no one to help me out.

'I'm going to die here' I thought to myself. A hand grabbed my arm and another grabbed my waist as I was dragged. Screaming and fighting against the arms, the walkers fell to the floor.

I turn around the see Daryl looking at me with worth clear in his eyes. "Ye okay?" Daryl asked me. I nodded my head.

Blaring of sirens came through the speakers and Rick was putting them out.

"How do we shut this off?" Rick yelled. I ran to Daryl.

"I don't know what to do. Have you seen Lori, or Carl? How about Maggie?" I yelled. But then realized the alarms shut down. I don't know what happened.

"Has anyone seen Carl? Lori?" Rick asked frantic.

"How about Maggie?" Hershel asked.

"She took them in there!" T-Dog said.

"Well I'm going to go find th--" Daryl said, but he was cut of when we heard crying. But not just any crying.

A baby crying.

Everyone turned their heads to to source of the sound, and saw the baby. Full of blood in a crying Maggie's arms, and a emotionless Carl beside her.

"Where is she?" Rick asked, tears in his eyes. Maggie shook her head. Rick broke down into tears yelling no over again.

Tears started to stroll down my face. We lost yet another person. Not even to walkers, but to birth.

I took the baby from Maggie, and quietly shushed her into a quiet whimper.

This was Lori's baby. Carl's little sister. Rick's daughter. But Carl is emotionless, Lori is gone, and Rick is in this dramatic state.

Who will take care of this baby? And we need to figure something out and fast, or we will lose her too.