Chapter 26

Tul said, "What about dinner?"

Max replied, "I am hungry for you. Not the food."

Max picked Tul up from the kitchen and walked to their bedroom and dropped him on the bed.

He then took off his shirt and pants and jumped on top of Tul, naked.

The next morning, Max and Tul were having breakfast.

Tul was thinking about something.
He then finally asked, "Max, you took care of Tan. But what about Boun's family? Are they not going to contact him?"

Max replied, "That would have been a problem if it were someone else. But Boun was a loner.

Boun and I met in his university 6 months ago. I was there for a workshop. He was socially awkward, standing alone and staring at me with admiration as I gave my speech.

After the workshop I went and talked to him. We clicked instantly. We exchanged numbers and we started meeting in his campus because his father was very strict. He wasn't allowed to go anywhere other than home to university and back home. If I tried to sneak him out of the campus to a nearby cafe, assuring to get him back to the campus before his car came to pick him up, he would get paranoid and refuse that too.

Also his father was pressurizing him to get married to some businessman's daughter so that his business could do better. Boun would not allow his life to be ruined forever like that. So he came out to him but his father was a homophobe.

He kicked and beat up Boun when he came out. Boun had bruises on his body and he ran away from there and called me. I picked him up from the street and brought him to my cottage. I offered him to start living with me. Since then he has had no contact with his family.

His father used to call him initially but he never picked up. Then the calls stopped coming after two months or so. So his family is basically out of his life at this point."

"What about his friends?" Tul asked.

"I don't think he even had any friends. His father was very strict and he was brought up in the confined space of his home. The only place he was allowed to go was his university. So he was socially awkward.

I felt compassion towards Boun because his father reminded me of my own father. Boun was a lonely soul."

"I feel so bad for him. Don't you feel guilty that you killed an innocent man like Boun, even if it was by accident?" Tul asked.

"Trust me, I regret it. Just because I don't show it doesn't mean I don't feel the guilt. I was so connected to him. So I was furious that he was cheating on me but I would not have strangled him to death if I were sober. Believe it or not, it is the truth. I don't even remember strangling him for that long to kill him or that strongly to stop his breathing. I was too drunk."

"I will be honest with you. A part of me is still afraid of you but I can't help my feelings either. My feelings for you are strong. And I acknowledge the fact that you did it accidentally. But I need my time to come to terms with the reality of it fully. This has been too much for me to take. My life has been very simple before I met you. So I need time to process these feelings."

There was silence for some time.

Then Max asked, "Before Tan came yesterday, you wanted to talk to me about something. What was it about?"

"Oh I was organizing the clothes out of your luggage and I found a few tshirts that were too short for your build. And it looked like those would fit Boun given his short and thin stature. So I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming and blaming you. But before I could ask about it, Tan already arrived and then proved my suspicion right. Those tshirts were of Boun."

"I might have packed them by mistake. Wasn't paying attention while packing. I have something else of Boun with me though."

"Huh?" Tul asked, curious and surprised.

"His phone. I actually went back to the cottage to retrieve the phone to text Tan, pretending to be Boun."

Max then brought the phone and gave it to him so he can read the messages.

He then said, "I wanted to throw the phone away somewhere on the way back but I was waiting for Tan to read the messages and then throw it, making sure that he would not go to my cottage. And later when he did read the messages, I got distracted by the car in the gas station and I forgot about the phone."

"What car?" Tul asked.

"I felt like the car in line behind me at the gas station was following me. And now I know it really was. Tan was following me in that car."

"Okay what do we do about the phone now?" Tul asked.