nine

calum

i light the cigarette up and hold it between my middle and index finger, sucking in the nicotine and harsh chemicals. i made sure i didn't wake her when i got up, because she looks so peaceful. mouth parted slightly and hair messy over her shoulders.
red hot chilli peppers plays through my phone speaker and i hum along to the rhythm, tapping my foot against the brick floor.

"morning." i hear her voice, i look over my shoulder and see a goddamn fucking angel.
tan legs showing under my shirt that she's wearing, long hair cascading down to her elbows and loose baby hairs wild. she rubbed at hers eyes tiredly and walked over to me, i take another drag of my smoke.
"morning." i say quietly.

evie grabs my pack of smokes and my lighter. i watch in awe as she places it between her lips and lights it up, i clear my throat to get rid of all those intrusive thoughts.

"you don't mind do you?"
"no, help yourself." i say as she places the pack back onto the table.
"thanks, it's been a while."

evie sits in front of my bare feet on the cold bricks, she crosses her legs and i resist to look between them where heaven lie.
"what are we doing today?" she asks, blowing out smoke. fuck i want her so bad, she looks so hot when she smokes, and she fucking knows it too.
evie's eyes find their way to mine, and i feel uneasy.
"whatever you'd like to do." i cough, putting the cigarette out. she moves onto her knees, ignoring the uncomfortable ground beneath her.
"are you mad at me?" she asks, puffing on her smoke.
"no." is all i could say, watching her every move. she pushes up off the ground and moves to stand between my legs.
"act like you're not then." the smoke on her breath blows in my face.
"how do i do that then? hmm?" i ask, annoyance evidence in my tone.
"come up with an idea for us to do."

i test the waters, placing my hands the sides of her thighs. i watch her breath catch, and i win, evie. i always win.

"watch it, hood." she says, taking another drag.
"is this not okay now?" i move my hands a bit further up, and i fucking miss what's between her thighs. especially when she's angry, she fucks like a demon.
"never was, honey." she goes to step out of my grip but i stand up, now holding her by the wrist she held the cigarette in.
"don't test me like that." i warn her.
"just don't fail." she snatches her hand out of my grip finally and i watch her place the cigarette out, walking back into my home.

if she wants a test to fail, i'll give her one.

/

i dangle my hand over hers, watching our feet walk in sync through LA's markets.
"can we go into the bookstore?" she asks me, looking up.
"sure."
"there's paparazzi over there." she says, pulling me in closer to her by my shirt.
"is there?" i ask.
"yeah." i look down at her green eyes and smirk.
"better give them a good show then, miss." i say.

i scoop her into my arms, placing a hand on her cheek. she's taken aback as i lean forward and place my lips against hers.
her mouth is sweet like lemonade, soft and i feel her tongue scrape against my bottom lip. evie's always been a big fan of pda, always.
i lean more into her as her spine bends backwards, and our mouths move like old times. i know exactly what she likes.

not too much tongue unless we're drunk, bite her lip softly if i want to fuck her, soft pecks if i wanna tell her i love her. i bite softly, and she knows exactly what i want.
evie pulls away with a straight face, not saying a word, so i smile because she gets it.
"what? you remember that, do you?"
"don't." she shakes her head.
"hey, we've got cameras on us."
"don't bite my lip like you wanna fuck me, cal." she smiles, faking the scene.
"what if i do want to?" i lean forward and kiss her cheek, keeping my mouth next to her ear, "pretty sure we'd both like that." i say.
"don't be an idiot."
"so you don't?" i bite at her earlobe.
"no."
i watch goosebumps rise on her arms, and i smirk, "you're not a very convincing liar, evie."
"get the fuck off me." she says through gritted teeth, moving off me and taking my hand into the bookstore.

i look over at the paparazzi and smile slightly, hoping they got what they need. evie's hand let's go of mine as soon as we get inside, and i follow her to the corner of the store.
"that wasn't cool, cal." she says, looking at the books.
"what wasn't?"
"you don't get to act like you own me and can do whatever you want."
"technically, for a year i own you." i lean against a wooden pillar.
"you don't own me. you don't get to do all the things we used to enjoy and act like you weren't the reason we broke up."
"well if you'd paid a bit more attention to me i wouldn't of fucked someone else."
she scoffs, and i whip out my phone, taking a photo of her looking at the books. i put it on my story immediately before she can argue with me.

her hair cascaded down her back, and i stand behind her. i graze my hand along her throat, pulling her hair to her shoulder blades.
"cal." she says, reading a blurb of a book.
"mmm?" i hum.
"you fucked someone else because you were bored of us, the studio, clubbing and other girls with better bodies were more exciting then your childhood sweetheart was. it wasn't because i didn't give you attention." she holds the book in her hand and turns to look at me in the eyes.
"is that really what you think?" i ask, brushing the hair from her face and analysing each strand, i can't even look at her eyes.
"what other explanation is there?" she says sadly.
"i was never bored of you, i just wasn't the person i should've been. i was fucked on drugs and drinks, i didn't think of anyone else but me."
"she wasn't me though, you could've waited till i got home."
"you would've dismissed me, you wouldn't of fucked me that day."
"there's so much you don't know." she shook her head.
"what?" i bend down to finally look at her in the eyes.
"nothing, let's go."
"no, tell me."
"cal-"
"i want to know."
"it's not going to change anything."
"evie, tell me." i place both my hands on her cheeks now.
"i went out with the boys that day, we all went shopping, i'd bought you a few things and we were planning a surprise party for you. i'd bought and worn some lingerie we couldn't ever afford, i came home early to fuck your brains out and take you out for the party."

i see tears well in her eyes, the redness making her eyes greener. i suck in a harsh breath, no one had ever told me that.
"i wanted to make it work, cal, that was my last attempt at trying." she says, wiping her eyes and shoving my hands off.
"evie-"
"it's too late, okay? so just drop it. let's just get over it, i wanna go home. we've got a big night tonight."

with that, she starts to walk to the registers to pay for her book.