seventeen

calum

i tap nervously on my knees, waiting for evie to finish getting ready. i scroll through my phone, staring at the photo we took today. the comments were supportive, for the most part. one after the other of fans screaming in the comments, living for evie n cal content again!

honestly, the psych session went way better than i thought it ever would, i really did feel more connected to evie and felt like we understood each other better than before. i underestimated the power of healthy communication. but, she doesn't really need to know that. she doesn't need to know about what i'm hiding, and i can't let her down again. it's so hard to not love her again.

"ready?" i hear her voice squeak, i look up.

she's a vision in a short black dress, heels, adjusting her earrings. tanned skin and sleek back hair in a ponytail.
"wow." is all i could say, standing up.
"thanks." she blushed, stepping towards me, "how are you feeling?" she asks.
"i'm great, yeah." i hide my shaking hands in my pockets.
"no alcohol tonight." she orders but with a sad smile.
"of course not." she didn't say no pills.
"should we get going?" she suggests, but i inch closer to her.

i take her waist in my hands and look down at evie, her makeup was flawless.
"you sure you're okay?" she looks up at me through her eyelashes.
"you look stunning."
"thank you."
"let's go, we'll be late." she goes to pull out of my hold but i stop her, bringing her into a hug.
"cal." she says, her arms out.
"i just want a hug." i say into her neck, smelling her perfume.
"okay." she gives in, wrapping her arms around my neck. "just don't get mad if i get makeup on your suit."
"could care less." i reply quietly, i'm crouching down to her.
"do you promise you're okay?"
"if you are, i am."

/

"there's a good mirror over there." she smiles as we wait to be seated.
"let's go." i smile back, taking her hand and leading her to the mirror.
"any ideas?"
"well, i want a big kiss on my cheek. so come here." as she faces away from the mirror and leans up, i zoom my camera in on our lower halves.

her dress peaked up, standing on her toes to reach my cheek.
"did you get it?" she presses her face to mine and looks down at the phone.
"yep." i smirk.
"calum! bit much." she condescends.
"it's awesome." i chuckle. i put my signature black love heart and tag her, posting the photo to my story.

"table for hood?!" the waiter calls over to us.
evie let's me go and i smile at the waiter, taking evie's hand and feeling her slide an arm around mine.

we're seated and i tuck evie into her seat, and we stare at each other, nerves evident between us.
"so, i'm evie." she starts, smirking, and i'm so proud of her.
"nice to meet you, beautiful. i'm calum."
"i love that name."
"so does my mum." i chuckle and she does too. the waiter pours us water, delicately placing lemon slices into the glass.
"so where are you from calum?"
"a very small town in rural new south wales, how about yourself?"
"no way! me too."
"what a coincidence, we're basically neighbours."

evie and i laugh, sipping at her water. my hand shakes on the glass so i place it under the table.
"do you have a favourite colour, evie?" lilac.
"i do, it's lilac. how about yours?"
"pale blue." i smile, my cheeks flushing.
"like the sky here in LA?"
"lighter, like luke's eyes." i joke.
"who's luke?" she raises one eyebrow, a smirk playing at her lips.
"my band mate, a very good friend of mine."
"band mate! you're in a band?"
"a popular one actually, Five Seconds of Summer."
"i haven't actually heard of you guys before, i'll have to listen when i get home."

we look at each other and burst out laughing, making the whole restaurant look at us.
"i can't do this, it's too funny." evie waves her hand and tries to hold back her laughter.
"we know too much." i reply, sipping at my water.

"are we ready to order?" the waiter comes back, and evie nods.
"i'll just take the caesar's salad please."
"certainly, and for you sir?"
"um, i'll just have the seafood linguine please."

evie scrunched up her face, she's always hated seafood.
"absolutely, any beverages for you tonight?"
evie looks at me, hopeful for me to say no but not answering for me.
"no, we're fine with water thanks." i smile.
"we have a great selection of red wine-"
"no, that's okay. thank you." evie cuts the waiter off, making the man nod and leave swiftly.

"nicely done." i commend her, going to pick my water up but my hand is still shaking. i clench the glass tightly, however start to spill droplets as it's slightly too full.
"here." evie takes the glass, turning it to fit into my mouth. the couple behind her look at me funny, but i don't care, i take a sip but only feel embarrassed in front of evie.
"thanks." i say as she sets the glass down.
"happy to feed you too." she jokes, resting her palm in her hand.
"that's not gonna happen."
"we'll see, hood." she smiles warmly, letting me know she's not judging me. "i'm proud of you."
"i'm embarrassed."
"i accept and acknowledge that." she says kindly, using paddy's advice.
"i appreciate it."
we laugh at the robotic turn of the conversation.

"so, any love interests in rural australia?" she looks down at the table and then back up at me, her eyes glistening. i can't get over how stunning she looks.
"of course, but just one." i smile down at the table.
"special girl, huh?"
"the most special. lost that one too quickly." i say sadly.
"eh, i'm sure she'll come around sooner or later." evie smirks, and takes another sip.
"hope so. how about you? any love interests i ought to know about?"
"same, just one."
"girl?"
"no," she chuckles, "just a silly little boy."
"i'm sure he wasn't that silly." i huff with a smile.
"the silliest. man was obsessed with me for a bit, was a bit creepy."
"maybe he just loves you?"
"too much, i think. pretty sure that's what broke us up."

evie dances her fingers on the brim of the cup, raising one eyebrow again. eager to hear what i reply with.

"maybe he just loved you too much and couldn't work out how to accept that love back." i say, leaning forward, "but i'm sure he's out there somewhere plotting a way to win a wonderful girl like you back."
"i hope so." she says sadly, looking at me through her eyelashes.
"i'd bet my money on it."

/

evie's fingers laced through mine as we arrived back at her home, pulling into the driveway.
"do you want some tea?" she asks.
"tea?" i ask, turning my head to hers.
"i got a new sleep blend, chamomile and some other stuff."
"it might be a bit late for tea." i reply, rubbing my thumb against her hand.
"it's never too late for tea." she chuckles, and i can feel her wanting to get me to come in. she's inviting me.
"how about on the second date, i come in for tea?" i reply, i don't want to fuck this up.
she sighs, "at least walk me to the door then."

i chuckle at her, getting out of the car and opening her door. she steps out, brushing closely against me. i take a deep breath and look up at the sky. this is so fucking hard.

i place my hand on the small of her back and guide her up to the door, her shoulder pressing into mine.
"are you sure you don't want to come in?" she asks, looking up at me once we reach the door.
"i don't want to rush this." i tell her, a part of its true but i know i've got things at home waiting for me. pretty little lines.

"we're not." she holds my hand.
i sigh, looking back at my car.
"goodnight, love." i reply.
she nods, looking down at her feet. i take my finger to her chin, pushing her jaw up to look at me.
"hey, we've got plenty of time." i remind her.
"i feel like you're rejecting me." she whispers.
"i acknowledge you're feeling that way," she chuckles at my statement, "but i think having sex is a bit soon. i wanna build on what's in here first." i poke my finger on her heart.
"thank you for respecting me like that." her eyes become glassy.
"i-i..." i want to tell her i love her, "i hope you have a good sleep and i'll see you tomorrow. do you still wanna come to my meeting?"
"absolutely." she looks away from me again.
"evie." i say, bringing her attention back.
"drive safely."
"come here." i bring her into my arms, feeling her face smoosh into my chest.
"thank you for tonight." she says.

we pull out of the hug, and slowly start to lean in. her eyes dart from my own and down to my lips.
as our lips brush against each other's, i push forward and hold my mouth on hers, applying the right amount of pressure. our tongues start to lace, and i pull away before it gets too heated.
"i'm sorry." she says.
"you don't ever have to apologise to me."