eleven

calum

i watch her finish her meal, setting the plate aside and making conversation with the boys we all grew up with. she was always close with ashton the most, they had a special bond because they were the closest two people to me. i watch her laugh at his story about getting high on a camping trip and being lost in a forest for two hours.

"i just can't believe you got that high that you lost your whole van." she says, resting her palm on her cheek.
"wild times, too much pot makes ashton go loco." he giggles.
"colorado still has the best weed." she says, catching my eye. i turn my gaze away from her and clear my throat.

"how you feelin', buddy?" feldy pats my back.
"tired, kinda wanna go home." i pick up my lemonade.
"alright, well, we'll get you all home." he gives me a warm smile.
"cheers, feldy."
"okay guys, i reckon let's pack it in for the night. evie i'll get the driver to drop you at your place, the boys can all come back to mine for a few drinks. minus the drinks for calum." he laughs, and they all do, but i don't.
"actually, i might go to evie's for a bit." i say, not giving her any warning or waiting for the invite.
"i don't think that's a good idea." she says into my ear, sending shivers down my spine.
"i'll end up drinking with them, i don't feel like it tonight." i cradle the side of her face in my hand, and she nods.
"movie night." she says, loud enough for the boys to hear.
"you know what movies lead to!" michael says, pressing his lips together and smooching.
"none of that." i shake my hand and laugh, but who knows, maybe i might squeeze in a kiss or two if she isn't so horrible to me.

/

"what movie do you feel like watching?" she towel dries her hair and walks into the living room, oversized clothes and a fresh face that i miss waking up to.
"horror, surely."
she rolls her eyes, "no."
"come on, you love horror movies." she sits down next to me with a blanket, throwing the towel onto the dining room chair.
"not at 11pm when i'll have to sleep on my own later." she grumbles, picking up the tv remote.

i spread my legs and place both my arms up and onto the top of the couch, forcing her to be closer.
it grows silent between us, knowing that i probably won't be leaving here tonight, not after our car incident.
"fine, terrifier. i've always put this movie off." she says.

the film literally looks terrifying. a killer clown with a warped face, blood covering him and a plastic bag full of cluttering objects.
"ah, how about something like...maybe a bit more lighthearted horror?" i wince as she presses play.
"you wanted to come over, hood." she smirks.
"i didn't sign up for this kinda shit, i meant horror like some bullshit ghost story, not a freaky fucking clown." i laugh and so does she.
"suck it up, buttercup."

i hit her leg playfully, and i clench my jaw at the first scene of the movie.
"share the blanket?" i ask, and she hands it over without even looking away from the screen.
"here."
"thanks."

i throw the blanket up, placing it over our bodies that are so close to touching. she brings her feet up onto the couch, her knees bent and aimed towards me.
"good?" i ask.
"mmhmm, wait it's getting scarier." she squeals.

i watch and watch, until the clown is sitting in a diner and these two girls are taunting him. evie slightly leans into me more, her finger tips touching my chest.
"why would you make fun of someone when they look like that?" she exclaims, and i force a laugh but really i'm terrified of this fucking clown.
"stupid girls, huh?" i chuckle, wrapping an arm around her.
"oh my god." she says as the scene morphs into the girls car not being able to start.

i watch in anticipation, pulling evie closer because i knew we were both freaked the fuck out.
"turn it off." i say, not being able to look at the screen as the clown starts to chase one of the girls after killing the other.
"no! it's getting good."
"evie, i'm serious-turn this shit off."
"come here, you big baby." she grabs my face in her hand and buries it into her neck, covering my eyes with her fingers.
it's like she's forgotten our fights, the breakup, and it feels just like home. her hair still smells the same, her neck still so soft and tender.
"is the scene over?" i mumble into her neck, pulling her closer with the arm i had wrapped around her. her other hand finds it's way to my hair and she uses her nails to play with it.
"he's fully just teasing her, he's not even got her yet." she says in annoyance.