Chapter 27: Meme

Meme was hardly aware of anything as he hit the ground with a thud. He couldn't tell if the plan was failing or succeeding. His head hurt like nothing else as he stood up. Luckily, he hadn't gone far. He could see Nadwe in bat form flying to the exit.

                                  A quick check revealed that he had no apparent injuries. Only a bit of confusion, which was usual after something like that. The 'something' had been being thrown by  a gravity gun into a pillar.

                                                  Gathering his wits about him, Meme broke into a run. Socks and the others were coming behind him, he saw as he glanced to make sure. They had to distract L4FF, or at least do something. It was obvious that bat Nadwe had been spotted.

                        When they got closer, L4FF turned on them. a few attempted punches and kicks later, it was obvious that they were doing nothing. He was resistant to normal fighting, which left them in a bit of a predicament. Meme felt his anxiousness grow.

                                                                             How was L4FF doing this? How was he evading everything, and managing to hurt them at the same time? It was so weird and so very frustrating. Meme felt like L4FF was just playing with them at this point. He was running circles around them!

                                           Nadwe popped back into his human form minutes later, looking nervous but proud. The others immediately noticed him coming back, and Meme felt a flicker of relief that he'd done it, and they could escape. He was also extremely happy that Nadwe was okay.

                                                                    "Come on guys! RUN!" Nadwe exclaimed. Not needing any further directions, they bolted from L4FF, everyone running the fastest they could to get to the exit and escape from this nightmare. When they got near the staircase, they paused. Nadwe hadn't moved.

          "Nadwe, come on! We gotta go!" Meme shouted, feeling a slight feeling of dread deep in his gut. He silently prayed that Nadwe would come over and escape with them. 

                              "Yeah, I know! I just gotta-" Nadwe was cut off by a sickening sound of something hitting flesh, and Meme was suddenly aware of a flaming sword, held by L4FF, impaling the fourteen year old.

                       "Look what you made me do." L4FF hissed.

                                                   "NADWE!" Meme cried, watching as L4FF retracted the sword, and Nadwe fell to the ground.

                                        Time seemed to slow as the others gasped, tears threatening for every one of them. Meme numbly fell to his knees, remembering everything the fourteen year old had gone through.