Chapter 8: Socks

Socks woke up the next morning feeling absolutely exhausted. He hadn't gotten much sleep due to the nightmares, and he wasn't feeling well because of it.

                After he got dressed, he walked over to the mirror when he realized that something was off. Socks stared for a moment, before lifting the collar of his outfit.

            There was a huge red mark around his neck in the exact spot where Laff had executed him in the nightmares.

                       "BLAZA!" Socks yelled, a little nervously. Wiktoria floated over and winced when she saw it.

                                        "How the heck did that happen?" She exclaimed.

                                                        "I have no idea" Socks muttered in reply.

               "Socks, what's wrong?" Blaza asked, barging into the bedroom like a madman. Socks stared at his friend for a moment before shuffling his feet nervously.

                                  "So...you remember those nightmares I was having last night?" Socks asked.

                                                                    "Yeah." Blaza said, a little bit questioningly.

           "Well I woke up, and...this was here." Socks awkwardly confessed. He lifted the neck of his shirt to show Blaza the scar. Blaza's eyes widened.

                            "How the-" Blaza gasped.

                                      "I don't know, man! It was just there!" Socks exclaimed.

         "It could be...hold on! I have a few books on magic like this. We can look through them and see if there's an answer to this...confusing situation!" Blaza realized, snapping his fingers as he pondered it.

                                      "I don't have time for that, Blaza. I'm supposed to meet Meme this morning at Laffs counseling center!" Socks sighed.

                   "Why don't I stay here and look through the books? I can find the answer, and will tell you when you get back. Easy plan." Blaza suggested.

                                             "Actually...that is the best case scenario, so I guess...thanks." Socks commented. Blaza nodded, and raced out of the room to get started and eat some breakfast.

                           "So, Socksfor1. Aren't you going to eat something before you go?" Wiktoria asked, crossing her arms.

             "Well...." Socks began.

                                     "Eat something." Wiktoria told him sternly.

                     "Fine. I hope I'm not late." Socks conceded. He fast-walked to the area where the food was and ate a loaf of bread.

                                                "Good." Wiktoria said, satisfied.

                            "Glad you're happy." Socks muttered, making his way out the base. He climbed the wall and landed with a thump on the other side. It took a while, but he made it to the area. Meme was waiting.

                 "Hey Socks." Meme greeted, somewhat awkwardly. Socks acknowledged this with a nod, still finishing the loaf of bread. Wiktoria followed behind, though nobody but Socks could see her.

                                            "Well, fellas'. Come inside." Laff beckoned. Socks slightly winced, remembering that Laff had been the one to execute him in the nightmare, but followed Meme as he walked inside.

                                                      "This is so weird." Wiktoria commented as they made their way to the room. Socks couldn't blame her. It was kind of weird.

     "Alright, mates. What seems to be the problem?" Laff asked. Socks knew that he had to already know, but was just being professional at the job.

                                                              "He killed my wife!" Meme accused, pain in his eyes as he said it. Socks whirled around to stare at Meme. For a moment, it occurred to Socks that he may just be keeping up appearances, but the look in Memes eyes stayed. Socks felt a feeling of dread.

             "Meme, you lovable moron." Wiktoria groaned in the background, out of frustration.

                                  "No I didn't! Meme, you have to believe me, I had nothing to do with what happened." Socks pleaded. When he was speaking, the collar of his shirt slacked a little bit, and the scar showed.

                                               "Socks-" Meme began, unable to hide his concern when he noticed it.

                         "Oh, shit." Socks cursed, realizing what had happened. He adjusted the collar quickly, wincing a bit.

                                                                         "Anyways...why don't we talk it out?" Laff suggested, clearing his throat. Meme and Socks exchanged glances. How did Laff think they were going to talk this out?

                                  'Oh, hey sorry for something I didn't do, Meme. My bad, apparently.'

            'That's okay. Sorry for blaming you for something that I'm probably going to continue secretly blaming you for!'

                                                       It was just stupid.

                                                                   "Well?" Laff prompted. Meme sighed, and to be honest, Socks kind of felt the same way. He didn't want to do this.

                 "Laff, I can't do this." Meme admitted, looking to Socks like he felt a little bit awkward.

        "Well if you can't do this, then we'll fix this MY way. Let me set it up in the other room." Laff sighed. He pushed his chair in, and walked out of the room, leaving a very nervous Socks and Meme together.

                                      "Socks, you gotta understand something, and it's going to sound crazy, but-" Meme tried. At that moment, Laff barged in.

                                                          "That was quick." Socks commented.

                                   Meme had a extremely disappointed look on his face, so Socks kinda felt bad, but it was time.

                                                                              "Socks, you're first." Laff announced.

                 Well. Here goes nothing.